Newbie need help with eeprom question please!

Taken1983

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Hello can someone please tell me how do I get a eeprom chip to read in miles. I am sending a vehicle from Canada to the US and the speedo needs to be programed in miles in order to go. Most vehicles you can switch with interior buttons but this being an 08' F150 it needs to be programed. I just bought a programing tool but just need the know how now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Taken1983

Joined Nov 5, 2017
What programmer do you have and what cluster? Do you have the EEPROM number from the cluster?
I have the Digiprog 3 and it is a cluster out of a 08' F150 XLT with small digital display not full. I will have to get the eeprom number this afternoon not @ home but I am assuming it is a 93c46.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Before we get too carried away, did you go into the setup menu to units and then hit RESET? I think that truck has this with both mini and full message centre. If I am wrong, we will look further into this. I figured I better ask before we proceed.

Taken1983

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Before we get too carried away, did you go into the setup menu to units and then hit RESET? I think that truck has this with both mini and full message centre. If I am wrong, we will look further into this. I figured I better ask before we proceed.
Hello no it does not have settings menu the small digital displays are not equiped with that. It even say in owners manul if you have the small screen display see dealer to change the units. It has to be programed on the back of the curcuit board. I wish it was that easy lol.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Just a thought but do you have this out on some sort of test bench or anything? Fastest and easiest way would be to wire in a switch set to simulate message centre functions. I believe you need 4 resistors to do this. I will check in the morning. I have it in one of my books somewhere.

Taken1983

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Just a thought but do you have this out on some sort of test bench or anything? Fastest and easiest way would be to wire in a switch set to simulate message centre functions. I believe you need 4 resistors to do this. I will check in the morning. I have it in one of my books somewhere.
Hey bwilliam no sorry not set up for that but I could be. I could also just hook it back up to the vehicle to get the display up. What direction are you thinking of going on this? I really do appreciate the time and effort you are putting in to helping me out.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I am just thinking that if you are going to do more of these, the easiest way might be to simulate a vehicle with the switches in it and I am pretty sure (98%) that this can be done. If you look at the black connector(14401), find pins 20 and 21 in the connector body. If there is wiring, it will be coloured grey/orange and Light blue/yellow. If the terminals are open, then you will need to buy some terminals to go in there. Maybe strip them from another connector. You will need four resistors (7.5k ohms, 680 ohms, 1.8k ohms and 120 ohms.
Better yet, if you can get the switch pack, faster for you. Once we have this you can simply push the proper switch sequence and change the readings.
On another note, where do you get your gauge faces from? Are you in Ontario?

Taken1983

Joined Nov 5, 2017
I am just thinking that if you are going to do more of these, the easiest way might be to simulate a vehicle with the switches in it and I am pretty sure (98%) that this can be done. If you look at the black connector(14401), find pins 20 and 21 in the connector body. If there is wiring, it will be coloured grey/orange and Light blue/yellow. If the terminals are open, then you will need to buy some terminals to go in there. Maybe strip them from another connector. You will need four resistors (7.5k ohms, 680 ohms, 1.8k ohms and 120 ohms.
Better yet, if you can get the switch pack, faster for you. Once we have this you can simply push the proper switch sequence and change the readings.
On another note, where do you get your gauge faces from? Are you in Ontario?
I am in Saskatchewan. What button sequence do you use? I found out this morning the dealer test mode but still unsure how to switch between ENG and M

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012

Attachments

Taken1983

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Okay here is what I think you need. Information on switches on page 125:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/08f12og1e.pdf
and a picture to explain what I am after. Hope this helps.

If you want to go the Digiprog way, we can do that but a hell of a lot more work involved. Ford clusters are not fun. What do you charge for conversion?
This is honestly my first one which is my vehicle. Thought about doing more but my first one is not going so well that is why I am asking for help. The model of Ford I have does not have those three button. I have been in the car industry all my life pretty much, so I am pretty familiar with lots of makes and models.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Ford not the easiest one to start out with so I would do this the easy way. Either go to the wrecking yard and buy the three button pack and program it or buy the resistors and switches and make your own.
As for the Digiprog, I would get my hands on some used clusters and play around with it a lot before you try to get into customer vehicles or you may find the education very costly.

Taken1983

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Ford not the easiest one to start out with so I would do this the easy way. Either go to the wrecking yard and buy the three button pack and program it or buy the resistors and switches and make your own.
As for the Digiprog, I would get my hands on some used clusters and play around with it a lot before you try to get into customer vehicles or you may find the education very costly.
I will give this a try and let you know how I make out.