Newbie here, please help -Op amp calculations

mitjero

Joined Apr 2, 2015
Hi all,
This is my first post so please dont be too harsh on me. I am here for help.

For my homework I have to design an operational amplifier circuit using standard components to implement the transfer function G(s)=10(s+1)/(s+10).

According to the transfer function this will be an non-inverting operational amplifier. And I thought that I will have to do some calculations and equalise it with the gain to fin some componets values.
What do you think?

Many thanks
Mitjero

mitjero

Joined Apr 2, 2015
I agree it can be done with a non-inverting configuration. It's a matter of setting up the right impedances for the feedback elements.
Thanks for your reply.
I thought by arranging the circuit as a resistor as R1 and the second part R2 in series with a C. But I get to an equation with 4 unknownsand including "s" and get stuck.

Mitjero

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
The problem with a single stage non-inverting implementation is that it's difficult to realise the necessary feedback impedances using arrangements of real components - R, L &/or C.
Are you constrained to using a single op-amp or can you use multiple stages? Are there any other design constraints such as loading conditions?

mitjero

Joined Apr 2, 2015
The problem with a single stage non-inverting implementation is that it's difficult to realise the necessary feedback impedances using arrangements of real components - R, L &/or C.
Are you constrained to using a single op-amp or can you use multiple stages? Are there any other design constraints such as loading conditions?
There are no design constrains.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
There being no constraints then you should be able to configure the necessary circuit topography.

Looking at the transfer function it looks very much like one typical of a lead compensator network. Try Google for the typical Op-amp implementations of a lead network transfer function.

One approach - not necessarily optimal - is to interpose a passive lead network between an input buffer and output gain stage. This makes the calculations relatively simple whilst ensuring the input and output loading effects are minimal.

Last edited: