New to soldering, how to solder mini USB connector?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That soldering iron is totally inadequate for this repair.

Having followed through this entire thread I would recommend that you get a suitable soldering iron. I would also recommend that you do some practice soldering before attempting to repair this. Post #2 suggests that you take it to a proper repair shop. That would be a good idea.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
The biggest challenge with that iron is going to be the temperature, there's no way to adjust it so it will likely be very very hot. Too much heat can damage the parts you're trying to fix. If you can find a local shop, that's a 10 minute fix for someone with experience.

OneCircuitGuy

Joined Oct 14, 2020
That soldering iron is totally inadequate for this repair.

Having followed through this entire thread I would recommend that you get a suitable soldering iron. I would also recommend that you do some practice soldering before attempting to repair this. Post #2 suggests that you take it to a proper repair shop. That would be a good idea.
These days I don't see many repair places for things like these and only really see phone repair places, what kind of businesses do you think would do this?

Any business that repairs electronics will have people who can solder.
That's the problem. No one repairs electronics.

The 40W Iron is like the "pull out" method of birth control. It "might work".

The higher temperature of the SMD solders makes it a fine line and nearly necessitates a temperature controlled iron.