new to electronics - 10 inputs from 2 boxes to be switched to third box with input selection indication

chrisnewkid

Joined Apr 21, 2020
Hello,

May I ask for some help to implement the attached requirement into a circuit?

I have box A and Box B - both putting out signals (analog) on 10 wires - I have box C to which these should go based on the input selection. I would like to show with 2 LEDs which input is selected. The switch should also have a neutral position where there will not be any connection to BOX A or Box B The voltages from input ranges are maximum upto 12v.

I am new to electronics and I would appreciate some help and guidance to implement this project.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is Homework Help, not Homework Done For You. So you need to show YOUR best attempt to work on YOUR homework problem. That will let us see what approach you are taking, what level you are operating at, what you are doing right, and what you are doing wrong. Then we can offer hints and suggestions to help you figure out where you are going astray and how to get back on track.

It's hard to tell from your description just what you are being asked to implement. Are you going to built the entire box, including the analog switches? If so, you need a lot more information, such as how much current has to be supported, how fast the signals are, and several others.

You haven't said what the control inputs to the box is. A rotary switch? A couple couple toggle switches?

Or is this project just about coming up with a digital circuit that controls two LEDs based on some kind of three-valued input?

chrisnewkid

Joined Apr 21, 2020
sorry - I am 9 years old and post mesg with my dad's help. i have voltages and on-off logic from both box a and b. it has 10 wires each from two inputs - i want to send it to another place and to have ability to select which input.

i am sorry for troubleing you - i will work myself and post here - I am on low budget so couldn't buy anything yet as I figured it is best to find what i need before i buy - my school now closed and my physics teacher is away in michigan and i am unable to contact him

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What grade are you in?

What do you already know about electricity (not electronics)? Do you know about voltage and current and resistance?

chrisnewkid

Joined Apr 21, 2020
I am grade 4 student. I have basic understanding of electricity and yes, current resistance, ohms law -basic concepts - learning with my father. sorry mr wbahn for inconviniensing you - i will talk to my teacher - i didnt know the steps in this website.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
We try to adapt to the person, so for someone your age we can be a lot more relaxed.

What kind of things are hooked up to the ten analog signals?

What kind of device are you thinking that the user will use to control the things? Push buttons? A knob? Toggle switches?

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
"Normally" one uses analog multiplexers. And the channel selected is done by
a digital signal, in this case 4 bits, because you need to produce a digital value of
0 - 9 to select 1 of 120 channels.

Did you mean that Box A or Box B is routed to Box C ?

Regards, Dana.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
This can be done with one chip, no code (even though part has a processor core).

Its done with analog multiplexers inside chip. One digital pin selects either Box A or B.
That also determines which LED is lit to indicate what the source box is for Box C.

The Muxes can handle analog signals 0 to + 5 Vdc.

So Box C either gets its 10 analog signals from Box A or B.

Something like this -

1587463868899.png

This solution is not for the beginner per se.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
the data is analog and not digital Mr dana
The only digital signal is the one to select Box A analog signals or Box B analog signals. Like a button.

Do you want the button to be latching ? One press and release selects one Box, Another
press and release selects Box B.

Regards, Dana.

chrisnewkid

Joined Apr 21, 2020
"Do you want the button to be latching ? One press and release selects one Box, Another
press and release selects Box B."

That will be very nice feeture- if i can get full list of components i will ask my dad to order - thank you for kind help from you. i am happy i have a solution.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@chrisnewkid What is the purpose of this assignment? Is it to get this thing built and working because it is needed for something, or is primarily intended as a means to help you learn some things about electronics? What are the expectations that your physics teacher has as far as how much of this you do and how much of it is done for you my someone else?

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Do you REALLY have to push your PSoC at a 4th grader doing a basic electronics assignment?
The assignment, if done discretely, is a bit of a horror show in wiring and chips.

The post is to show what can be done.

I keep in mind we have kids in schools, 6th grade so far I have learned, that are wiring
and doing basic robot programming.

I fully appreciate my post is one of possibilities, and I also wonder if Dad is an EE or Tech.....

So much we do not know about this, but I thought I would do a design, mainly out of
curiosity to see if it would route.

Regards, Dana.

chrisnewkid

Joined Apr 21, 2020
i am getting helpo from my daddy also - we are working together and learning on this. its low voltage so we thought it will not make whole neighborhood go dark even if someting go wrong.

project is studying detailed switching - we already finish single pole single throw and double pole multiple throw sitiuationsl

now the new project its mix of sounds alarms & voltage from two model house and we have a monitoring station - we want to switch between two houses and monetor the situation

chrisnewkid

Joined Apr 21, 2020
The assignment, if done discretely, is a bit of a horror show in wiring and chips.

The post is to show what can be done.

I keep in mind we have kids in schools, 6th grade so far I have learned, that are wiring
and doing basic robot programming.

I fully appreciate my post is one of possibilities, and I also wonder if Dad is an EE or Tech.....

So much we do not know about this, but I thought I would do a design, mainly out of
curiosity to see if it would route.

Regards, Dana.
i love challenges and different solutions - thank you for helping me mr.danA

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
i am getting helpo from my daddy also - we are working together and learning on this. its low voltage so we thought it will not make whole neighborhood go dark even if someting go wrong.

project is studying detailed switching - we already finish single pole single throw and double pole multiple throw sitiuationsl

now the new project its mix of sounds alarms & voltage from two model house and we have a monitoring station - we want to switch between two houses and monetor the situation
How are these two model houses and the monitoring station powered?

There's a potential issue having to do with a suitable ground reference between the houses and the monitoring station.

chrisnewkid

Joined Apr 21, 2020
12 volts separate power supply on both houses and 12 volt power supply inside monitoring station for its light etc - but some bulbs to indicate the functioning of houses

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
12 volts separate power supply on both houses and 12 volt power supply inside monitoring station for its light etc - but some bulbs to indicate the functioning of houses
They will need to share a common ground (well, there are ways around it, but let's keep it simple). Do they?

How far apart are the houses from the monitoring station?