New to circuitry - looking for help with a simple project (Flashing a light)

Oldfield277

Joined Sep 7, 2019
Not new to electronics but new to circuit level stuff. I’m looking to build a simple 12v circuit that will flash on/off 5 times per second, or 300 times per minute. I have been pointed in the direction of the 555 timer or an NPN Darlington. The more I read about these components, the more confused I become. I don’t understand some of the deep theory behind how all of these components work together. I would like to press a button and make a lighting relay flash 5 times per second on 12v. The relay can handle it and the light can handle it because I can push the button 5 times per second and it works. I’d like to make this as reliable and with as few components as possible. Not interested in Arduino for this project. Can anyone help me understand this simple circuit?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

You say it works because you can make it flash 5 times per second.
Then you say you want to make it reliable.

Mechanical relays will not last very long with continuous operation. You need to replace the relay with an SSR (solid-state relay) or with a MOSFET (power field-effect transistor).

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I would like to press a button and make a lighting relay flash 5 times per second on 12v. The relay can handle it and the light can handle it because I can push the button 5 times per second and it works.
What is the relay switching? What controls how long the load is switched at a 5Hz rate?
I’d like to make this as reliable and with as few components as possible. Not interested in Arduino for this project. Can anyone help me understand this simple circuit?
What circuit?