New Invention

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i have heard u can install OS in ps3 and it has blueray disc player (i m not affiliated to sony) is that what u meant?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
yea like game platform pc platform dvd blueray all in one
I too am not sure I fully understand the question, but when blu-ray drives become available for PCs ten you should be able to get a PC with the gaming/PC/blu-ray capabilities you want.

I'll move this to the appropriate forum.

Dave

sax1johno

Joined Oct 20, 2007
I think I kinda know what you mean.

You could build a cheap console system out of a computer using Linux. I have mentioned it before somewhere, but it's worth mentioning again. The "Linux from Scratch" project has information on building your own linux distro. Combine that with the GRUB bootloader and all of the cool customizations, and you could easily create a VERY fast loading console. You will probably want to be an expert with Linux if you do this, tho.

Another option is to use an embedded operating system (like Windows XP embedded). It allows you to build Windows XP with only the features you require, resulting in a very fast loading custom operating system that only runs what you want it to run. However, keep in mind that this also requires a great deal of knowledge, and on top of that costs $99 for the license and for each subsequent license.

Hope this kinda helps.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
sax1johno, for the above suggestions where would the blu-ray capabilities come in? Firstly, other than PS3, have blu-ray player hit the market? Secondly, do they have PC interfacing capabilities?

Dave

Ohms Law

Joined Oct 14, 2007
This is my idea a 200 plus disc holding system that operates all formats and stores all ya disc at the same time and its the console also

Ohms Law

Joined Oct 14, 2007
I personally have over 200 movies 90 games wouldnt it be nice to have them in a storage unit that plays them and does a library all in one I thought it would be cool

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I personally have over 200 movies 90 games wouldnt it be nice to have them in a storage unit that plays them and does a library all in one I thought it would be cool
Wouldn't ripping them to a couple of 500GB drives be a neater and more elegant way of achieving this? That way you have the master copy on display in your library available for use as and when you want, and you have a media version for (and built into) your super-system.

Dave

niftydog

Joined Jun 13, 2007
...and you don't need to wait for the robotics to un/load discs all the time, and you can create non-sequential playlists and benefit from the many other features that are standard on mp3 players.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
...and you don't need to wait for the robotics to un/load discs all the time, and you can create non-sequential playlists and benefit from the many other features that are standard on mp3 players.
Quite. A friend of mine had one of those multi-disc DC-changers for his home hi-fi. After he spend weeks programming the library through which you selected a disc through a rather pretty GUI, you could easily press a few buttons and.....what seemed like an eternity later the music would start. By the time the music started playing everyone had gone home!

Dave

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
What you should be asking is how do i get a 500gb hd into my ps3(40,60gb)?
The ps3 is a console, plays bluray and dvds, Im not sure what formats it plays but I know that you can buy a modchip of the ps2(not sure of the ps3) that will let it play many different formats. For ps3 hacks or mods you can go to the Qj forums. They do all that game stuff.

m4yh3m

Joined Apr 28, 2004
With all of the emulators on the web, the pc *is* the all in one system. However, you'd need a powerful system for it with lots of space. Given time, most of the game systems are emulated and the software cracked so that it can be played or copied. DVDs are already hacked. Blu-Ray is out of my league...but i suspect it will only be a matter of time before they find out a way to hack the discs. It's still amusing to think some of these advanced protection systems were bypassed by simply drawing around the outside of the disc with a permanent marker. The need for a 200 disc holder is, with todays technology, excessive and not needed. It would be easier to put together a large array of drives and rip the discs to the drive and run a disc emulator.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
just paying the VAT wud be hard for me right now :D
u can but a whole PC with that much!
Indeed so, and this will largely be an inhabitant to blu-ray in the short run, though I am sure prices will come down over time so that they are manageable. One thing I have heard is that blu-ray will be Vista only (not including other OSes) and Microsoft are siding with Toshiba and their HD-DVD format. Not sure if any of thee are true, just rumours, but the status of MS in the OS market will/could dictate how successful blu-ray is in the long run.

Btw, sorry recca I know you liked the monkey (he may return in the future), just fancied a change - its me keeping a watchful eye on the forums! :D

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
its funny to see market rivals collaborating to maintain monopoly. Since Sony is involved with blu-ray and PlayStation while microsoft with Xbox and xbox is supporting HD DVD.