New attached image viewing gripe

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'm using MSIE v7.0 on Win XP Pro.

Previously, when image attachments to a thread were clicked on, they would open in a new browser window.

Now, images open in a frame, often resized to fit the frame, and the remainder of the window is blacked out.

In order to view the image full size, one has to click on the original attachment, then click on the framed photo to get rid of it, then click on the attachment again to get it to open in a new browser window.

Practically every image I attach to replies will fill a 1024x768 screen.

I personally find it an inconvenience to have to click on an image so many times in order to view it at 100% scale, and hope that there is a setting that I can toggle somewhere to revert to the previous functionality.

Meanwhile, new members may have difficulty figuring out how to deal with this problem.

While a typical bulletin board would find this new framed re-sizer a boon, I feel that due to the technical nature of these forums, it is a bust.

Regards,
Wook

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Thanks for the comments Wook. This is one of the features we have noted and commented on since the software upgrade. To confirm, we have the behaviour as:

- Click the attachment thumbnail and it blacks the page with a preview of the image.
- Either click the cross to close the image and return to the thread.
- Or click the image to open the attachment in a new window (tab) and the existing thread window returns to normal layout (i.e. not blacked out) - behaviour as previous.

Is this the behaviour you are getting from this feature? (I say this because you shouldn't have to manually get rid of the JS frame, it should remove itself once you click, either the cross or the image).

We'll have a look into the per-user settings options for this.

Dave

Caveman

Joined Apr 15, 2008
Dave,

I think what his gripe is (and I concur) is that you have to click it to get the new blackscreen thing. Then you have to click it to get a new window (like it used to work). But this image is generally reduced to fit on your screen, so you have to click again to zoom to 100%.

Because of the type of forum that this is, it is typical to look at an image and text at the same time. So, while it looks cool and all, it is really just a nuisance.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave,

I think what his gripe is (and I concur) is that you have to click it to get the new blackscreen thing. Then you have to click it to get a new window (like it used to work). But this image is generally reduced to fit on your screen, so you have to click again to zoom to 100%.

Because of the type of forum that this is, it is typical to look at an image and text at the same time. So, while it looks cool and all, it is really just a nuisance.
Thanks Caveman.

I find that after clicking the image in the black frame, it goes to 100%, but that may be my settings. Lets have a look at it and see what options we have.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
For the purposes of testing the settings, the black-box image preview has been disabled. Is the behaviour as previous?

Dave

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I have been trying to find a thread with an attached image that I haven't viewed yet - no luck!

However, the black-framed preview has disappeared. Much better :) Thanks!