needs tricks to obtain capacitances, inductance, transistor and diode caracteristics

coquelicot

Joined Jun 8, 2015
Hello,
I am relatively new in the field of electronics (mathematician originally) and my budget is very limited.
The unique measure instrument I have is an old (but good) multimeter that can measure potential difference as small as 0.01 V,
resistance and intensity, both in AC and DC.
I am trying to obtain electronics parts by demounting PC and other apparatus. No problem in general for resistances, and also for capacitors in general. But for selfs, and some capacitors, I don't know what is the impedance. Even Worse, for diodes, transistors and OAmp, I have no idea of the characteristics of these components (in general there is something written on these components but I don't know how to use this).
What I need are good tricks (even if I need to provide some work) to obtain these data, hopefully with the only help of my multimeter. If I need to buy something, what is the cheaper solution (again, assuming some work of my own). There may exist some good link on this subject, which will be extremely welcome. thx.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Basically the respective datasheet of a component is the source of that data, provided that you can identify it properly what it is not always a straightforward process.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
I advise you to take advantage of what some electronic circuit simulator.Recommend LTspice.It has many examples.Also recommend that you visit the site Ltwiki.org.I drewthe diagram measurements diode,different types of transistors and operational amplifier using one multimeter.Simple.PNG

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I think you can buy an L-C meter fairly cheaply. I know of no way to get L & C of components using only a multimeter. To do that, you'll need at least a function generator to go along with your meter. If you're really strapped for case, you might google "LC meter schematic" and see if something comes up that you can build. Somewhere around here, I have a book of test circuits I'll try to find. Actually, I may have left it at home when I went on the road for work.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
If you need to measure inductance of the transformer, then you can useas a generator supply voltage 230V (or 110V).In series with the windings witch resistor(e.g.R =220kOhm)and measure the voltage.RL=2* pi* f*L.
Ix=(230-Vx)/R, L =Vx/Ix/(2* pi* f) . Please observe the safety precautions.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I think you can buy an L-C meter fairly cheaply. I know of no way to get L & C of components using only a multimeter. To do that, you'll need at least a function generator to go along with your meter. If you're really strapped for case, you might google "LC meter schematic" and see if something comes up that you can build. Somewhere around here, I have a book of test circuits I'll try to find. Actually, I may have left it at home when I went on the road for work.
Peak Atlas do various meters like ESR, LCR and various semiconductor analysers/testers - but they're not exactly pocket money prices.

coquelicot

Joined Jun 8, 2015
Thank you so many all for your answers, especially Bordodynov and Brownout : I even did not know that this is called an L-C meter, some of them are indeed very cheap.