needs to find distance between two moving objects

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Thanks hgmjr, it's nice to know that my post was read, do'nt know how light crept in.
At 16 operations /sec A should be able to keep up with B if it knows where to look.

electrazy

Joined Jan 19, 2009
any one know about 'stanley fatmax tlm100' the product is really amazing itmeasures upto 30 meter with 6mm accuracy
any one knows how it works
and it is cheap toooo

electrazy

Joined Jan 19, 2009
Are cars radio controlled? If so car A not only needs to calc. range but direction as well-remotely. Sounds like war games. Irradiate target with IR and detect with a series of IR detectors for direction?? Also what is speed of sound at your location ??
no cars are not radio controlled
with ir sensors is it possible to measure upto 10 meter
plzz
do look at 'stanley fatmax tlm 100 ' it measure distance upto 30 m with 6mm accuracy and is cheap too

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
any one know about 'stanley fatmax tlm100' the product is really amazing itmeasures upto 30 meter with 6mm accuracy
any one knows how it works
and it is cheap toooo
Yes, I mentioned it in post #3 of this thread, but you rejected the idea as it was not continuous enough for your purpose, as I recall.

I have one, works great, got it new for <$50 USD, and it is TOF.

John

electrazy

Joined Jan 19, 2009
Yes, I mentioned it in post #3 of this thread, but you rejected the idea as it was not continuous enough for your purpose, as I recall.

I have one, works great, got it new for <$50 USD, and it is TOF.

John
...i didn't rejected it
as i am working on a project i need to develop it......................
how they are able to do it so cheaply and do you know how it works so precisely with only 1/4 inch accuracy is it using sound or laser or something else

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It's Time of Flight (TOF). Bernard (post#7) gives a block diagram for a sound-based TOF. The details of the Stanley design are not publically available; although, personal contact with Stanley confirmed that it operates by TOF, rather than by some other principle, such as triangulation or interference lines.

It is a class IIIa laser (<5 mW) at 630 to 690 nm. The pulse length is listed on the tool as being 1 nS (i.e., a pulse of light 30-cm long ).

John

electrazy

Joined Jan 19, 2009
It's Time of Flight (TOF). Bernard (post#7) gives a block diagram for a sound-based TOF. The details of the Stanley design are not publically available; although, personal contact with Stanley confirmed that it operates by TOF, rather than by some other principle, such as triangulation or interference lines.

It is a class IIIa laser (<5 mW) at 630 to 690 nm. The pulse length is listed on the tool as being 1 nS (i.e., a pulse of light 30-cm long ).

John
1 what is the response time of stanley between two different measurement
and
but for a sound based TOF, laser cannot be implemented
so what i should use as transmitter and reciever
also i am not getting how that block diagram is going to work...

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The nearest thing I could find was an aircraft RF short range altimeter,several hundred to one foot, guessing 5lb. 8 in x 8 in. ant,$2000.
Laser, IR, or RF would be best, but ultra sonic might be easier io impliment.
All Electronics has an ultrasonic transducer listed,CAT # XDR-24 @ $1.24 ea.,customer rpt. 8kHz to 70kHz.successfully used for ranging, no schematic. These are strictly bare bones, no electrioics included.
Question: how large is " car " A & how is it controlled??

Just for kiks I purchased a pair of transducers.

Block diagram: It would be desirable to have a narrow beam hence the parabolic reflector with transmitting US transducer at the focal point. A seperate receiver might be best as antenna may be pointing differently when return signal is received. Gated oscillator generates a short burst[50-100 cycles] of US voltage to transmitting antenna assembly. Band pass Amplifier receives returning US signal, amplifies it and shapes it to produce a logic level pulse. FF is set with start of transmit burst and is reset with return signal. The time that FF is high can be converted to a voltage, or a digital output by turning on a 17kHz osc.[ lost my notes]. Each cycle represents one cm.+ -. The FF pulse is perishable so counter output is dumped into a register. if a voltage representing distance is required ,the register may be feed into a digital to analog converter..

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Even better: www.maxbolix.com "Range objects 0-6.45 meters." Various beam widths available.
Some ramblings: If the US[ultra sonic unit] were rotated at about one, rps;when an object is detected ,rotation stops and sweep comences covering 15-30 dergees either side of stop position.Center of sweep moves to track target.

electrazy

Joined Jan 19, 2009
Even better: www.maxbolix.com "Range objects 0-6.45 meters." Various beam widths available.
Some ramblings: If the US[ultra sonic unit] were rotated at about one, rps;when an object is detected ,rotation stops and sweep comences covering 15-30 dergees either side of stop position.Center of sweep moves to track target.
thankyou for ur support
but cant we have ultrasonic range finder which can measure upto 10 meter