Need to solder a 4x4mm QFN by hand

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
UPDATE:

It worked! ... I baked all the circuits in my small electric oven, carefully timing 4 minutes and gradually raising the temperature "by feel", until I saw the solder paste liquify, then I waited about 20 seconds, and gradually lowered the temperature again.

Nothing was damaged, and the PCB's came out nice, neat, and clean.

Maybe my next step will be adding a thermocouple and a small controller to the oven to automate the process. But I've got more pressing things to do at the moment. I'll be updating this thread when the moment comes.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Maybe my next step will be adding a thermocouple and a small controller to the oven to automate the process. But I've got more pressing things to do at the moment. I'll be updating this thread when the moment comes.
In mine, I attached the thermocouple to an old piece of pcb, which I then attached to the rack when the pcbs go.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
In mine, I attached the thermocouple to an old piece of pcb, which I then attached to the rack when the pcbs go.
I assume the intention of that arrangement is to directly measure the temperature of a sample PCB as a reference, instead of measuring a random point inside the oven?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I assume the intention of that arrangement is to directly measure the temperature of a sample PCB as a reference, instead of measuring a random point inside the oven?
Precisely. I thought about attaching it to the metal rack, but the metal rack would have completely different thermal characteristics to a fibreglass pcb.
My colleague cooks some pcbs in the oven, and we buy in some that are assembled in China. Sometimes I can't tell which is which. (My colleague isn't quite as good as the Pick-and-place at aligning a 64-pin TQFP, and that is generally what gives the game away)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Which configuration of thermocouple do you use? Do you use the "naked" type, or encapsulated? How do you attach it to the sample PCB?

Naked:
1645210471599.png

Encapsulated:
1645210457156.png