Need to identify this PCB header connector

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It appears to be a TE Conectivity type, Digikey have them.
I purchased some headers of the same type recently.
Although mine where the single row, but it looks the same version, but double row.
TE 3-640440-4

1673883065937.png

PickyBiker

Joined Aug 18, 2015
Definitely not IDC. It doesn't have the slot for orientation on one side that all IDE connectors have, and it has a locking ramp to lock in the mating female plug. Also, the mating female part has individual wires individually attached to connectors, not a flat ribbon cable.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also, the mating female part has individual wires individually attached to connectors, not a flat ribbon cable.
Is this means of connection the same as the type I have shown?
They use a 22g conductor that is forced into the connector slot, where the insulation is automatically slit and allows the conductor to come in contact with the blade making the termination .
It is not a means I use by choice, although I have not really had any issue with them concerning reliability.

PickyBiker

Joined Aug 18, 2015
MaxHeadRoom, I'm not sure how the male part on the cable was assembled. I figured it was the usual, crimp a connector on the wire and insert it into the connector.

Never really saw what you are describing.

PickyBiker

Joined Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for that. I worked with some telephone type panels in the past and we used something I would call punch-down blocks that worked the same way. You could easily move wires around to different positions, although that clearly is not the intent with your connectors. Here are some better images of the connector in question.

Attachments