need to display multi shapes on 7 segments without controller?!

ahmedzaidan

Joined Jul 22, 2017
Hi All,

I am trying to display the following shapes on one 7 segments display depending on three control signal .if one of them high i want to display the first shape if the second one high i want to display the second shape and so on ^^

7segggggg.jpg

can i do that without using any controller ?!

Thanks in Advanced :)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi All,

I am trying to display the following shapes on one 7 segments display depending on three control signal .if one of them high i want to display the first shape if the second one high i want to display the second shape and so on ^^

View attachment 138362

Probably easier in the long run to use a OTP ROM, but they're getting hard to find. The capacity will be more than you need, so you could just go for the full ASCII CHR set. There used to be off the shelf ROM chips, but I haven't seen one for decades.

Some TV sets shifted the bit pattern for all the digits at once into a SIPO shift register.

ahmedzaidan

Joined Jul 22, 2017
All you need is a bunch of diodes and resistors. See this https://i.stack.imgur.com/XRe0Q.png, but I would use a separate resistor in series with each diode, instead of bunching them up together.
thank you :)

and what the value of each resisor ?

Probably easier in the long run to use a OTP ROM, but they're getting hard to find. The capacity will be more than you need, so you could just go for the full ASCII CHR set. There used to be off the shelf ROM chips, but I haven't seen one for decades.

Some TV sets shifted the bit pattern for all the digits at once into a SIPO shift register.
thank you for your appreciated effort :)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
All you need is a bunch of diodes and resistors. See this https://i.stack.imgur.com/XRe0Q.png, but I would use a separate resistor in series with each diode, instead of bunching them up together.
If you like doing things the hard way on a large PCB area. Its basically building you own hand wired ROM.

Very small OTP ROM chips were very common at one time. There's still some of availability of EPROM chips and a fair choice of EEPROMS.

The redundant capacity is a small price to pay to get out of hand wiring a board full of diodes.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi All,

View attachment 138362

Just three patterns -- and THOSE three patterns?

What if more than one of your three control signals is HI? Or what if none of them are HI? Or is your system such that you are willing to assume that exactly one of your control signals is HI at all times?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If you like doing things the hard way on a large PCB area. Its basically building you own hand wired ROM.

Very small OTP ROM chips were very common at one time. There's still some of availability of EPROM chips and a fair choice of EEPROMS.

The redundant capacity is a small price to pay to get out of hand wiring a board full of diodes.
OP said he needed only those three symbols, so a few diode seemed simpler than learning how to program an eeprom.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The E and F segments are allways on so they just need connecting to the supply via resistors. For the "0" display you need four diodes feeding segments A, B, C, D from the control signal. For the "L" display you need one diode from the control signal to the D segment. For the "H" display you need three diodes feeding the B, C, G segments from the control signal. You will need a current limiting resistor on each segment. For someone to draw the schematic you need to specify if the display is common anode or common cathode, The supply voltage and the required segment current.

Les.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
OP said he needed only those three symbols, so a few diode seemed simpler than learning how to program an eeprom.
Just those symbols are OK with diodes, but adding more later can get out of hand fast.

AFAIK: a flash EEPROM only needs a few logic gates to sequence the select pins in the right order. There's no weird & wonderful Vpp levels to deal with. 0.3" footprint EEPROMS were fairly common on PC motherboards not all that long ago. It might even turn out that the EEPROM chip turns out cheaper than the bag of diodes, and could easily take less board space.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Just those symbols are OK with diodes, but adding more later can get out of hand fast.

AFAIK: a flash EEPROM only needs a few logic gates to sequence the select pins in the right order. There's no weird & wonderful Vpp levels to deal with. 0.3" footprint EEPROMS were fairly common on PC motherboards not all that long ago. It might even turn out that the EEPROM chip turns out cheaper than the bag of diodes, and could easily take less board space.
I also thought about to use EEPROM and I did something like that before, but it was more and more complicated, if the TS no any acknowledge about that or no any EEPROM writer then that is the problem or the schedule will be delay.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Diode logic comes to mind If you need more help w/ this tread PM me?

BTW are the dispays common anode or common cathode?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
At first, I tried with 4049 inverting buffers but I was surprised that the voltage at the o/p of the buffers was >2V and I have to reduce the current limiting resistors to 100Ω. So I immediately think of using ULN2003 (max 500mA), though a TTL LS should work too sinking about the same amount of current.

Allen

[edit] I checked with 74LS17 datasheet. It has the advantage of the schmmitt trigger inputs and can prevent contact debounce. But its I(OL) is only 8 mA (per gate?), so not sure if it can drive 6 segments in "0"

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
At first, I tried with 4049 inverting buffers but I was surprised that the voltage at the o/p of the buffers was >2V and I have to reduce the current limiting resistors to 100Ω. So I immediately think of using ULN2003 (max 500mA), though a TTL LS should work too sinking about the same amount of current.

Allen
When you using the cmos and still want to get the higher current then you can choose as the inverter 74HC4049 or the buffer 74HC4050.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
[edit] I checked with 74LS17 datasheet. It has the advantage of the schmmitt trigger inputs and can prevent contact debounce. But its I(OL) is only 8 mA (per gate?), so not sure if it can drive 6 segments in "0"
SN74LS17 from TI and it provides the max current is 40 mA, please check the bottom of the page 2, digikey still has the SN74LS07DR sale online, so this kind of product still has its market.