Need suggestion for onboard storage

AntonioAura

Joined Feb 18, 2018
Hi All,
I am looking for an onboard storage solution. Working on an IoT project. Is there anything available that can be mounted on the PCB board.

Memory card looks like a solution. But is needs a holder and also not safe solution. A human can easily detach it.
Looking for 8GB storage on board. Is there any alternate component available? A link or part no. reference will be appreciable. Thanx!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi All,
I am looking for an onboard storage solution. Working on an IoT project. Is there anything available that can be mounted on the PCB board.

Memory card looks like a solution. But is needs a holder and also not safe solution. A human can easily detach it.
Looking for 8GB storage on board. Is there any alternate component available? A link or part no. reference will be appreciable. Thanx!
Use cloud storage. 8Gb is in the free range on Amazon. Easy to connect from raspberry pi.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hi All,

You can always solder the memory card directly to the PCB.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I would go with the SD card option. Assuming your device is in a case of some sort, make it so the board has to be removed from the case to get the card out. And mount it on the hidden side so if it is still in the case the card is not visible.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
One more vote for an SD card.

If your controller is smart enough to talk to teh interwebs then it should also have a library for using an SD card.

You need not let people swap it out. Bury the holder inside the case, or even solder it down directly as someone else suggested.