Need Someone to check my transition table and state diagram

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You say that you haven't covered sequential circuits as all in class, yet this assignment is due on Wednesday.

Color me suspicious.

Look at your inputs to your 2-to-4 decoders. Is the '0' or the '1' input the lsb? Usually the '0' is the lsb. Which signal, 'A' or 'B', corresponds to the lsb (of those two). Ask the same question for the second layer.

HCN1996

Joined Nov 29, 2015
You say that you haven't covered sequential circuits as all in class, yet this assignment is due on Wednesday.

Color me suspicious.

Look at your inputs to your 2-to-4 decoders. Is the '0' or the '1' input the lsb? Usually the '0' is the lsb. Which signal, 'A' or 'B', corresponds to the lsb (of those two). Ask the same question for the second layer.
good catch on the decoders. Im not sure why I put them in that order.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Your problem #2 is a Mealy machine. Look that up in your text and see if that helps. There are probably some examples that are worked.

HCN1996

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Your problem #2 is a Mealy machine. Look that up in your text and see if that helps. There are probably some examples that are worked.
We do not have a textbook. I will try to figure out a better start to the table. It is the 1/0, 1/1, 0/0, and 0/1 between the states that throws me off. I have never seen that before and he as not shown us an example in class. He briefly drew those notes in 10 minutes on the 25 and thats all the background I have in this stuff.

HCN1996

Joined Nov 29, 2015
My question would be, if Q0 and/or Q1 remains in the initial condition (0), would it even show up on a mealy diagram?
im not sure, my professor has never taught that. Is it wrong? are you saying since q0 is always 0 it shouldnt be there?

edit: im not sure what you are saying ha

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If the next state (1) never occurs why would one include it? On the other hand, it might be an exercise in mealy with zero practical usage in real life.

on edit:

I looked at the diagram and saw that two flip flops did not change state.

HCN1996

Joined Nov 29, 2015
If the next state (1) never occurs why would one include it? On the other hand, it might be an exercise in mealy with zero practical usage in real life.
Im thinking it is just an exercise with no practical usage. It's a freshman CE class and he just introduced it. He has not even mentioned that it is called a mealy machine.

HCN1996

Joined Nov 29, 2015

on edit:

I looked at the diagram and saw that two flip flops did not change state.
with that being said is my table and diagram correct even though some of it might not be necessary?

HCN1996

Joined Nov 29, 2015
I don't know what your instructor wants. I'll let @WBahn weigh in with his opinion as he is an instructor.
Same with me, he has only covered this in one class and never one with 8 states so it has me a little confused. We also havent done these styles of problems before. I tried getting in touch with Wbahn but he hasnt responded.