Need some help making a microcontroller for voltage

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Phones already have a charge controller, as others have pointed out.
The best way of making your battery last longer is to switch the phone off!

Theinsainepops

Joined Nov 22, 2013
i knew that i ment to put computer battires. i need somone to help me make a microcontroller that can dectect when a computer battery reaches a certain % and when it goes past that certain % the microcontroller redirects the currnet to a capacitor, and when the capacitor is fully chargered it will charge the current will move back to the battery and when you finally unplug the laptop and it gets under 10% battery life left, the capaciotor kicks in recharging the battery. almost like one of those iphone cases only it does it automatically and is built into the laptop. By the way im doing this as a school project for a schoolarship program, best one gets a full ride to stanford and a patent on the idea. who ever can help me build this micro controller can get a % of the profit if i ever sell the patent.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
i knew that i ment to put computer battires. i need somone to help me make a microcontroller that can dectect when a computer battery reaches a certain % and when it goes past that certain % the microcontroller redirects the currnet to a capacitor, and when the capacitor is fully chargered it will charge the current will move back to the battery and when you finally unplug the laptop and it gets under 10% battery life left, the capaciotor kicks in recharging the battery. almost like one of those iphone cases only it does it automatically and is built into the laptop. By the way im doing this as a school project for a schoolarship program, best one gets a full ride to stanford and a patent on the idea. who ever can help me build this micro controller can get a % of the profit if i ever sell the patent.
Makes me think of these yakuza subsidiaries for nuclear jobs. For one real job out there with all the radiation, there will be five managers sitting in a comfortable office and distributing "a % of the profit" down the ladder.

OP, get used to the idea, there are quite a lot of people out there who are knowledgeable. If you want to make $$$ you have to be a bit more knowledgeable than you are.

who ever can help me build this micro controller can get a % of the profit if i ever sell the patent

Not right there where you wanted to be ATM.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If someone else invents this for you then you can't get a patent; the intellectual property rights will be theirs.

the capaciotor kicks in recharging the battery
The cap would need to be enormous to do that!

Theinsainepops

Joined Nov 22, 2013
i just need help. like what kind of chip and circut breaker to buy. im afraid someone will take it. Thats why i wanted to say device and more descreet words but queit frankly i treid that and no one understood what i was trying to say

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The power brick that supplies your laptop and charges its battery already does what you seem to want. You are re-inventing the wheel.

i have a buddy who somehow made one and gets all the voltage storage need in about the size of a silver dallor
Then he deserves the patent :). Is he having you on?

Theinsainepops

Joined Nov 22, 2013
he told me about the project, and i know but i want to build this into the laptop so the power brick charges the capacitor and the battery. It keeps you from having to go back to a power brick 2-3 hours after a full charge.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
A voltage regulator that "diverts" or "redirects" power when the voltage is >X is often called a "shunt regulator".

If you google for that term you should find some good reading material. :)

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
i want to build this into the laptop so the power brick charges the capacitor and the battery. It keeps you from having to go back to a power brick 2-3 hours after a full charge.
This isn't going to work. You need a voltage greater than the battery voltage in order to put energy back into the battery. Also, you need to do the calculations to appreciate how much energy you would be asking the capacitor to store, and hence just how huge the capacitor would have to be (unless you only want the cap to supply top-up power for a couple of seconds). An added complication is that battery voltage stays fairly level until its energy is nearly exhausted, whereas the voltage on a capacitor drops steadily as current is drawn from it. :(
All you really need is a spare battery :D.

dball387

Joined Sep 15, 2013
Is this just a circuit which would detect when the device's main battery is full. If it is full, it starts to charge a cap to charge the battery... Dont get it. (excluding the fact that these detection circuits are already used)
How about just trying to invent more efficient batteries?