Need Some Expert Advise!

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
I am new to making circuit boards. I would like to use 3 CREE XP-G led emitters each running 500mA. I would ideally like to know how to build a circuit board with an led driver built in. A list of component parts would be very helpful and what each part is doing would be awesome. In the PDF below is a fast sketch of what I am trying to do. What I have been doing is using the XP-G2 CREE star boards and a buck-puck driver but the star board takes up a ton of room and the drivers take up even more room. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
I am down loading kicad right now but I think this will not help me. I don't know what part I will need and how to hook them together in the correct order.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
From your drawing my first concern is heatsinking.

You will have to figure out a heatsinking arrangement to keep your LEDs from cooking. You will need to get rid of four to six watts while keeping the junctions at a reasonable temperature, about 125°C is tops. Figure a 40°C ambient and 4.5 watts you will need a heatsink that will only rise 18°/watt, including the thermal resistance from the die to the heatsink.

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
I am not concerned with heat sinking at the moment. I know how to make heat sinks and how to efficiently draw the heat out of the LED. I only need to know how to make a circuit board with a driver on the board. I plan on etching my board for prototyping the having a company make it. I just don't know what to use for components on the board, for example voltage regulators, resistors, and so on.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
To design a driver to the said LEDs you need to tell us more info.
Such as the input voltage.
The Vf of LED at 500mA.
Typically it would be a cc driver set a 500mA.
I doubt you can fit a CC driver at the space you showed

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
I will be supply consistent 12V in. The design of the chip will be a half moon as shown but the in side and out side diameter we be determined by what has to be on the chip.

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
Bertus, I am not sure. I normally use a 700 or 1000mA buck-puck driver from ledsupply.com. They work great But they are just to big.

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
Bertus, I think the way I should of asked the question is how to make the 700 mA DC driver. what components would I have to buy, and how do they work together. I tried taking apart one of LEDSUPPLY.COM 700 mA drivers too look at the components but it has some kind of casting around the whole board and it will not come off without taking the pieces off the board.