Need push button switch for a wood heater fan

Cain Smith

Joined Jul 16, 2020
Anyone familiar with a simple push button switch for a wood heater fan? I pumped it and cant put it back again. Its for a Scandia 200i Warmbrite wood heater. Uve requested support with Scandia to no avail. Plz help.

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Welcome to AAC! Hard to tell much from the picture... Pumped it? Google for a manual if you can find make and model # on the label? Sometimes appliance parts houses have better exploded-view drawings than the manufacturer. Good Luck!

Cain Smith

Joined Jul 16, 2020
Welcome to AAC! Hard to tell much from the picture... Pumped it? Google for a manual if you can find make and model # on the label? Sometimes appliance parts houses have better exploded-view drawings than the manufacturer. Good Luck!
Cheers, bumped it lol. Yeah I will keep looking for a diagram online nothing showing in the product manual.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here comes the thread title police.

I cant figure it out!!! Plz Help

Think how useful is this title. One rule of forum etiquette, use a title that gives the reader some insight to the thread's content.
For example, "Need push button switch for a wood heater fan" would be so much better.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Well if its a switch that doesn't work mechanically, probably needs cleaning, do you have a DMM to check continuity/buzzer mode ? , Probalby just the metal not contacting somewhere.

Also quite common, is for a wire to that was free to move and vibrate, end up breaking between the soldered end, and the plastic insulation point.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
It can be hard to figure out how those interlocking mechanisms work. That long saw tooth bar is meant to prevent you from pushing two buttons at once. When one button is pressed and you press another, the first one is released. The two other brackets, I haven't a clue where it goes. If you can figure that part out you should be able to reassemble it. However, having damaged it (bumped or pumped) chances are it might need additional help staying together. Otherwise it's just a simple switch. Actually three switches with a single off button. Low, Medium and High.

After you figure out how it goes back together you might have to glue it closed. Or zip tie it closed.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I do not think you will find an exact replacement, except from the manufacturer or an inoperative donor unit. That means, rebuild or modify.

Originally, I thought they were called "radio" switches as that is where they were used. Apparently, the modern name is "bank" switches.
EDIT: Make that Radio Button Switch
Wikipedia
A radio button or option button is a graphical control element that allows the user to choose only one of a predefined set of mutually exclusive options.
Obviously, such oversights/errors really bug me.

Are there 4 wires or 5 wires? Is one button for "off," and the others for some function? If only 4 wires,I suspect one is off and the others are for some function.

Surplus sales of Nebraska (https://www.surplussales.com/switches/swpushb-2.html) has some 4-button bank switches.

1595008586977.png1595008615195.png

Last edited:

Cain Smith

Joined Jul 16, 2020
It can be hard to figure out how those interlocking mechanisms work. That long saw tooth bar is meant to prevent you from pushing two buttons at once. When one button is pressed and you press another, the first one is released. The two other brackets, I haven't a clue where it goes. If you can figure that part out you should be able to reassemble it. However, having damaged it (bumped or pumped) chances are it might need additional help staying together. Otherwise it's just a simple switch. Actually three switches with a single off button. Low, Medium and High.

After you figure out how it goes back together you might have to glue it closed. Or zip tie it closed.
Thanks for your help. It might be easier to order a new one by the sounds.

Cain Smith

Joined Jul 16, 2020
Thanks for your help : ). One switch is on/off and the other 3 is slow medium and fast fan settings. There are only 4 wires.

I do not think you will find an exact replacement, except from the manufacturer or an inoperative donor unit. That means, rebuild or modify.

Originally, I thought they were called "radio" switches as that is where they were used. Apparently, the modern name is "bank" switches.
EDIT: Make that Radio Button Switch

Obviously, such oversights/errors really bug me.

Are there 4 wires or 5 wires? Is one button for "off," and the others for some function? If only 4 wires,I suspect one is off and the others are for some function.

Surplus sales of Nebraska (https://www.surplussales.com/switches/swpushb-2.html) has some 4-button bank switches.

View attachment 212369View attachment 212370

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Thanks for your help. It might be easier to order a new one by the sounds.
You'd be surprised how with a little trial and error you can fit that switch back together. Don't give up on it so quickly. Once you know how it goes back together and it's working properly then seal the switch unit back together. May just take a morning's exercise to put it all back together. Besides, ordering a new switch may be harder than you think. Getting the RIGHT switch may be problematic. It all depends on who's taking your order.

You Could get a three way fan switch from the big box store and wire it in; then figure a way to mount it permanently. And if you go that route - make sure it's mounted so you don't accidentally knock it off again.

")

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That is indeed a mechanically interlocked switch, and if you have all of the pieces it should be possible to re-assemble it so that it functions correctly.. all that will take is a good magnifier and small tools and a few hours of effort, and a ton and a half of patience. An alternative is to replace it with a 4 position rotary switch, one pole 4 positions. One wire connected to each position except off. You will need to alter the mounting arrangement a bit. The original switch was "designed for assembly," meaning that there was never any consideration for mechanical strength or repairability.
Does the switch connect to a motor or to a circuit board?