Need a push button - Don't know the proper type

Scott MacDonald

Joined Jun 14, 2015
Hi all! First post, so take it easy on me!

I bought a metal detector pinpointer from Harbor Freight (which I knew was going to be a bit dicey) and on the first day out of the gate the button started to fail, so I want to replace it with a better button. ( I can't just return it because I've had it for a while, just not used it.)

The button is a square, non-toggling one, and by that I mean it doesn't click and stay on, then click and stay off. You need to hold it in to keep it on.

I opened the pinpointer up and checked the wires that the button are connected to, and they seem to be on there fine, and the button is encapsulated, so I can't dig into it any further.

I'd like to buy a new button online, but I don't know what to call the darn thing when I'm looking it up. I went on one electronics retailer and they had over 9k buttons alone!

Here is a link to the pinpointer on their website and the button should be pretty clear in the picture. http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Any help on what kind of button I should look for would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

S

Scott MacDonald

Joined Jun 14, 2015
Thanks a lot everyone! The switch only has 2 wires going into it, soldered on a pretty simple connector I think. The kind with the tab with a hole in it. Now to buy me a switch and some helping hands! Should Digikey and Mouser be fine shipping to Canada?

Scott MacDonald

Joined Jun 14, 2015
I suppose I should measure the foolish thing as well, eh? KMoffett, normally I'd bring it back for sure, but the nearest HF is about 6 hours away, and the pinpointer was only $9, so I'm going to try to fix it. I bought it last fall and just stored it for the winter.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
element14 ??? google that one. one of the big names will have a canadian presence so you can avoid a possible tariff or tax.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Now to buy me a switch and some helping hands! Should Digikey and Mouser be fine shipping to Canada?
My preference is Digikey, they ship for a flat rate of CAN$8.00 to Canada, no duty or brokerage, just PST/HST.
It is on my doorstep by 12:00 next day air.
Over $200.00 no postage.
Max.