Need power adapter HELP theater seats aren't working

jacklucas

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Hi everyone, I really need a Christmas miracle here. I recently purchased some west elm reclining theater chairs at their outlet. We got a great deal and it was really the only way to make everything work. We saw the chairs move in store and everything seemed fine; however, they were super discounted because they did not come with the adapter. The sales clerk convinced me this was a super easy fix and so I bought them. They are motionItalia chairs and need one of their adapters. Now unfortunately, it looks like I can't find the proper adapter. Can someone please help me?!

This is the device connected to all the motors:Image from iOS (12).jpg

This is the adapter we used in the store
Image from iOS (12) copy.jpg

And this is the adapter I purchased, but when I plug it in, the controls don't work. It this a polarity issue? as the adapter shows +> >-?
Image from iOS (13).jpg

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Do you have a power adapter of any sort to try?
Although it will be low voltage, an old 19V laptop power supply may sort of work.
Otherwise, a 24V one may be easier to locate.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
DC-DC Step Up Down Boost Buck Voltage Converter Module CC CV 5-40V to 1.2-35V-9A
BoostSupply.png
Something like this boost converter, cheap on Ebay, driven from a 19V laptop supply or 24V supply could work.
It may be hard to find a 29V supply itself as that is not a real standard voltage.

With the above, a number of chairs could be driven from the one supply.

jacklucas

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Do you have a power adapter of any sort to try?
Although it will be low voltage, an old 19V laptop power supply may sort of work.
Otherwise, a 24V one may be easier to locate.
So the last photo is the adapter I current have to test. The specs seem to match up other than the 2A vs. 1.5A output and the polarity seems to be reversed. Would that be enough to make the chairs not move at all? Or could I have possibly burnt out the motors from the 25 seconds of the adapter being plugged in?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
So the last photo is the adapter I current have to test. The specs seem to match up other than the 2A vs. 1.5A output and the polarity seems to be reversed. Would that be enough to make the chairs not move at all? Or could I have possibly burnt out the motors from the 25 seconds of the adapter being plugged in?
The polarity is very important!
The current is ok, as long as it is the same or higher. No problem using a 2A or even 20A supply just as long as the voltage and polarity is correct.
Hopefully you have not damaged the chair controller but you may have.
Check the power supply polarity with a meter before you plug it in.
You can cut the output lead and rejoin it with the wires swapped, then see what happens.