Need ideas for a cheap but effective locating system

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
yeah but I only need to cut 1/4" deep. My trusty dewalt circular saw should manage.
Depending on how much cutting you need to do, you may want to use a cheap saw. That's what my neighbor who's a concrete contractor recommended. He said the dust would trash the saw...

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Depending on how much cutting you need to do, you may want to use a cheap saw. That's what my neighbor who's a concrete contractor recommended. He said the dust would trash the saw...
If you keep a stream of water directed at the cut, the dust should be negligible (which you likely want to do anyway to cool the blade).

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When I installed one, I had to cross two concrete driveways. I used my Skill saw with a carbide tipped blade, set the depth to about 1/2", and cut a groove in the fiberous material that makes up the expansion joint. I just pushed the wire into the resulting groove, and then use a little RTV as an adhesive to hold it there. Worked like a charm. This was in snow country; never snagged it with the snow shovel, which is what I was worried about...