Need help with wireless light beacon system

Eric Ellcey

Joined May 28, 2015
Hi. New here. Thanks for any help in advance. Basically, I help run a 1/2 mile clay oval race facility for race cars. My idea is this: I want to use emergency lights (similar to those that are used on a cop car grille or other) I want to base it (remote light modules) in a marine dry box (11"x 3" sealed box). Use a smaller type 12v battery (think security system back up battery?) As the Red, Yellow, and Green switches currently operate 2 Stop n go lights by the flag man, I would prefer to build in the transmitter into this box by the flagman ( has 120v power) so that all activation switches (red, yellow, green) and transmitter for these remote control light boxes are housed together. I would really only need this wireless transmitter to activate when the flagman turns the yellow on (possibly red too). Each "light module" would need a coresponding reciever I assume. Thinking a total of 4 lights. Doable? Crazy?
Thought of doing arduino based?? My next isuue is I am mechanically inclined and some knowledge of electronics, but I dont have a good clue as to what I need in a parts list? obviously a wireless transmitter and 4 recievers? or do UI need to double that as a way to turn lights on AND off?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
I read that it is a 1/2 mile toval track, but how far is the flagman from the lights? that will determine the power level for the transmitter, and the antenna design.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Doesn't sound complicated enough to justify an arduino or any other computing element. What I got was flip switch here, yellow lights come on here, there, there, and there. Same for red. Pretty simple except for the distance. Most small remote control modules (disgustingly cheap on ebay) run in the ISM band (300-400 MHz-ish) and have federally limited power. Others here have more hands-on experience with them and can talk about their distance capabilities, but a three football fields sounds like a long way for a tiny radio.

ak

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Linx Technologies has an excellent line of RF modules. These are more industrial strength, come with lots of handholding and antenna selections, and have eval kits that probably are what you need. More expensive than Chinese 4-button remotes.

ak

Eric Ellcey

Joined May 28, 2015
Is there a place I can start at ground level with a basic board? Or a place if I contacted them and gave them my senario, would help procure what I need?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Eric, what country are you in? If you had put that in when you registered, I wouldn't have to ask...

Legalities are different in different countries. In a public venue like a racetrack you gotta do it legal...