Need help with proper battery selection please.

Tony in Ohio

Joined May 12, 2017
I'm putting together a target cam system for hobby shooting and need to find the proper batteries for my components.
Basically, a small camera is placed on a tripod at the target and a A/V transmitter & receiver transmit live video back to the shooting bench 100 to 200 yards away allowing you to see your shots without having to walk all the way down to the target.
My A/V transmitter & receiver came with a DC 5V / 1000mA power supply, and my camera says power source 9V with 200 MW power consumption.
The camera also says working voltage is 6v to 12v do not exceed 12v or 250 MA.
I would be running the system for about 2 hours max.
It would be nice if I could use the same battery to power the transmitter and the camera.
I'd sure appreciate any help any of you guys could give.
Thank you in advance, Tony.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Your camera needs 9-12V so it can't use the same battery for the transmitter as it needs 6V, unless you use a regulator to drop the camera battery from 9 to 6v,, as for battery capacity you need to measure the current your camera takes at 9 or 12v, then you can work out its capacity in mAh.

Last edited:

Tony in Ohio

Joined May 12, 2017
Your camera needs 9-12V so it can't use the same battery for the transmitter as it needs 6V, unless you use a regulator to drop the camera battery from 9 to 6v,, as for battery capacity you need to measure the current your camera takes at 9 or 12v, then you can work out its capacity in mAh.
Thank you very much for the input. The camera didn't come with a power supply so I'll have to figure it out. It just said power consumption 200mW. I think that's at 9v and am not sure of the time frame. 200mw per hour?

Tony in Ohio

Joined May 12, 2017
So I'm thinking, as for the camera, if it says "working voltage is 6v to 12v do not exceed 12v or 250 MA, if I just take a chance and use a 9volt battery, would that be stupid?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Measure the transmitter current and camera current (IR bulbs not on) when operating.
That will tell us what we need to do.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A PP3-size 9V battery is totally inadequate.

A 12V lead-acid battery is a better choice. Use a car battery and you will have lots of operating hours.
Ok, that's over kill and is too heavy for lugging back and forth when it needs recharging.

Get a 12V 7Ah sealed lead-acid battery (SLAB).

If you draw 1A from the battery it should be able to power your setup for 5 hours conservatively.

Tony in Ohio

Joined May 12, 2017
A PP3-size 9V battery is totally inadequate.

A 12V lead-acid battery is a better choice. Use a car battery and you will have lots of operating hours.
Ok, that's over kill and is too heavy for lugging back and forth when it needs recharging.

Get a 12V 7Ah sealed lead-acid battery (SLAB).

If you draw 1A from the battery it should be able to power your setup for 5 hours conservatively.

Thanks for that help! I'll try the one you suggested for the camera.
The camera just came with leds, I won't be shooting in the dark lol.
Now I just need a battery suggestion for the transmitter & receiver.
Do you think the same type of battery except 6V would work?
Thanks, Tony.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thanks for that help! I'll try the one you suggested for the camera.
The camera just came with leds, I won't be shooting in the dark lol.
Now I just need a battery suggestion for the transmitter & receiver.
Do you think the same type of battery except 6V would work?
Thanks, Tony.
If the camera will work on 6V then get a 6V battery instead of 12V.
You can use a 6V SLAB which is rechargeable or a 6V lantern alkaline battery which is not rechargeable.