Need Help With Project - I have an idea to create a round wooden "box".

ScruffyNerfHerder

Joined Oct 2, 2015
Hello! First a little information:
I have an idea to create a round wooden "box" (approximately 13-14" wide) that will have something on display inside of it. The box will also have a round lid. There will be a "false" bottom that the item will sit on and will be connected to the top via wooden dowels. The weight is no more than 2 lbs. I want to push a button (or flip switch) and the lid will raise up bringing the false bottom and item up to be retrieved. The item is 6" tall, so I would need about 6.25" of lift. I would like this to be battery powered.
So here is my question:
What sort of apparatus should I use to lift this? electric actuators? mini scissor lift? If you could include hyperlinks to the equipment, that would be extra helpful. Thank you all in advance!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello! First a little information:
I have an idea to create a round wooden "box" (approximately 13-14" wide) that will have something on display inside of it. The box will also have a round lid. There will be a "false" bottom that the item will sit on and will be connected to the top via wooden dowels. The weight is no more than 2 lbs. I want to push a button (or flip switch) and the lid will raise up bringing the false bottom and item up to be retrieved. The item is 6" tall, so I would need about 6.25" of lift. I would like this to be battery powered.
So here is my question:
What sort of apparatus should I use to lift this? electric actuators? mini scissor lift? If you could include hyperlinks to the equipment, that would be extra helpful. Thank you all in advance!
Draw a sketch of this - before and after the bottom moves. Hand drawn is fine. Just snap a picture and post it.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
That is a tough one. It will require custom hardware. Do you have a 3D printer and cAD software? What is your budget?
How much weight will be on the lifted platform?
How fast do you expect it to move?
How durable dose it need to be? - how often will it activate per day?

ScruffyNerfHerder

Joined Oct 2, 2015
That is a tough one. It will require custom hardware. Do you have a 3D printer and cAD software? What is your budget?
How much weight will be on the lifted platform?
How fast do you expect it to move?
How durable dose it need to be? - how often will it activate per day?
The weight wont be more than 2-3 lbs. including the item and wood top.
I don't expect it to move fast. 6 inches in 3-4 seconds?
It won't be activated very often.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm picturing a jack-in-the-box arrangement where the base rests on an accordion bellows. Hit the button, the bellows inflate and raise the platform. I think the stop at the top could be "natural", in the sense that once the bellows is fully extended, there would be enough air leakage to prevent it from going any further. You don't need a stop at the bottom. The accordion would just deflate under gravity once the airflow turns off.

The only other thing I could think of is a rack and pinion arrangement with the rack being part of one of the dowel posts. A small electric motor would turn a small pinion and drive the rack. But with this kind of system you need a way to stop the motor at both ends of the rack.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I like @wayneh 's pneumatic method. Few parts, self limiting, low power and self-balancing (unlike a mechanical system where binding would be an issue if it is powered at one of the four dowels).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You did not say anything about it going down, so here is a different combination:

A spring to lift the weight, speed limited by a bellows with a calibrated air leak.
Push it back down with your hand.
No electricity needed unless you want a solenoid to release a latch as you press a button at a distance.
The bellows can either suck air or be compressed by a lever so it ejects air.

The mechanical speed limiting is where I am weak. I've seen clock-works with a fan that limits energy flow, but that's way out of where I am knowledgeable.