Need help with making a circuit for a peltier module

Cahan McDowell

Joined Nov 9, 2017
hi there i'm doing a project currently and using a peltier module.
http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mcpe-031-10-13/peltier-cooler-8-8w/dp/SC10911

That one to be specific, ive never used one before so really need help for making a circuit to use this. I want it to use a push button to make it start to function if possible. i understand i may need something to regulate the temperature too. Hopefully someone has a circuit design i can use for this?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What exactly are you trying to do? Temperature regulation, better called temperature control is up to you. The type of temperature control depends on exactly, in detail, what you are looking to accomplish. Next, this is an unusual peltier in that it has a relative;y low max voltage, I read about 3.8 VDC maximum so you may want to think about a 3.3 VDC supply capable of about 5.0 Amp to allow some overhead. What were your plans for a power supply?

Ron

Cahan McDowell

Joined Nov 9, 2017
yea i understand it is weird, im honestly just using 2 peltiers, i need one to heat and one to cool. They will each be attached to something. Ideally id like a small portable power supply

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If you just want what is commonly known as On/Off temperature There are several options. Using a thermistor as a sensor you could likely use any of several micro-controllers like a PICAXE or Arduino to suggest a few. This would require writing some basic code but would result in a low parts count. You could include a single push button to Start and Stop the circuit. Long as you know the watt densities for your pelitier are adequate for the hot and cold you want.

A simple Google of arduino peltier cooler will give you some ideas as to how to interface the pelitier to the Arduino for control. Another option is using a PICAXE Pelitier for control. Google either of those and you should see some code samples and drawings. That is about all that can be suggested with the information you supplied. Keep in mind anytime we make heat or cold using an inefficient pelitier powered portable (battery) unless we have a large battery rhe battery life will be short.

Ron

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
For a psu i would use an Atx on the 3.3V rail that will give you plenty of power. As for temperature regulation you can use an Lm35 and op amp comparator.