Need Help with DIY Electric Heater, 120vac, 1000 watts

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Granted... Even so, the (admittedly fewer and further between) on topic posts may be valuable to other and future readers...:)
That's exactly right, and half the reason why I post these specific threads. Because god knows, I search for things online alot, and really like it when I find decent threads with some juicy detailed info in theme about what I'm trying to learn about. etc.

Ok, so I'm not going to make a heater, even though I honestly could do it. Using a wood built wood frame wraped in sheet metal, and Kanthal A1 Resistance wire and a 2000 watt dimmer from lowes, and of course 120vac mains power.

As for the heating in the upstairs, it's 4°F outside right now, and a nice 70°F upstairs..

How..?

How about 3,000 Watts.. with two heaters. One forced hot air, and one Sunbeam Quartz sun like heat heater.

Btw, the Sunbeam quartz heater wasn't doing jack last night.. it got down to 44°F up here, and I literally had to spend my nigh tin my bedroom..

I like to stay up here, well because.. I like to be on my computer, and research stuff, mess with 3ds max, and watch YouTube videos, etc. etc.

Ran a typical orange 50' 14-3 extension cord from another outlet, and used another heater. the cord gets slightly warm, but nothing extreme. here, I'll go measure how hot the wire is.. one sec.

Ok, that's not good.. The spool is pretty warm. But the wire, if it's by itself, isn't that bad, only about 84°F

So here's some photos.. oh yeah, when I measured the wire by itself, the room tempature was 72°F

Here's a bonus. The little forced air heater isn't on all the time. I got the room tempature up to 70°F, and the termostat is turned down quite a bit, so the bigger quarts heater is on all the time, but the little forced air one comes on every once in a while. So I'm not actually burning 3kW every hour. Even so, having the 1.5kW on all the time is quite a bit. I think my rate for kWh is something like under $00.12/kWh. But if I had them both on all the time, that's like say $00.12hr.. That's $00.36 x 24hr = $8.64 Day, x 31 = $267.84+, because of other charges, it's going to be over about $300 month, so that's not cool, and that's only the damn two heaters, and not including the whole house. lol, that's NUTS !!

Hunted000645.jpg P1070890.JPG P1070891.JPG P1070892.JPG P1070893.JPG P1070897.JPG

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The first question is what is the wattage of the space heaters that are not adequate? Next, are they radiant heaters or do they have fans or blowers to deliver warm air? If they are already rated at 1000 watts then a different heater of the same wattage will do no better.
Now for the safety rant: There is a lot involved in making a heating appliance safe, and so it does indeed make more sense, if the heaters that you have are rated for less than 1500 watts, to investigate another heater of at least 1200 watts.
BUT first, check to verify that you are actually getting the full mains voltage to the heater. I have seen some extension cords that are not good for even a small coffee maker, and certainly not a medium sized heater. Also seen outlets that are no longer able to deliver even ten amps without overheating.