Need help with a project

Falcon1niner

Joined Nov 17, 2017
First of all my apologies for not being at all qualified to be part of this forum due to my lack of knowledge in the electronics world. However, that is why I am here. I have a project in mind that I am hoping someone here can guide me through. I have, for lack of better terms, a light rig that consists of two KC off road lights mounted to a stand that is powered by a small 12v/7.2 amp battery. Each light draws 1 amp. As of right now the lights are turned on by a toggle switch. However, I wish to make it so the lights automatically come on when activated by one of several wireless motion sensors. The system I am looking at using to "Frankenstein" what I need out of it is the Mace 80355 Wireless Home Security like the one listed on this link. https://www.smarthome.com/mace-80355-wireless-home-security-system.html

My question is how would one go about taking apart the system and making it activate the above listed lights? I believe the power the lights draw is an issue but I am not sure how to remedy this. Again I apologise for my complete lack of knowledge here so I do not even know what questions to ask or what info is needed to assist in your guidance. Hopefully someone here can help me through this. Thanks all!

qrb14143

Joined Mar 6, 2017
It is probably easier to buy on off the shelf light with a motion sensor like this: http://uk.farnell.com/eterna/fl124b.../lighting-products/lamps-tubes/pir-floodlight

At the very least you could take it apart and see how it is wired up, you may even be able to remove the sensor and make it work with your existing light rig.

For your reference, most motion sensors are "Passive InfraRed" which is generally abbreviated to PIR. If you google "PIR project", "PIR light" or "PIR hack" you should find someone who has done something similar.

Falcon1niner

Joined Nov 17, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply! I will look into the info you provided. However, my project needs these specific lights to be used and has very specific PIR requirements. Just wondering if, using the system in my link, I could adapt it to activate my lights instead of the audible alarm.

qrb14143

Joined Mar 6, 2017
You may find that the system you included in your link activates its buzzer using a relay. If the relay is big enough, you could use it to switch your lights on. If it is too small, you could use it to turn on a bigger relay which in turn activates your lights.

The control box may even have screw terminals for attaching external warning lights or buzzers.

Raygl

Joined Dec 3, 2016
I know there are other places but I like Parallax.com. They have a PIR sensor(Motion detector) that gives you a logic high when it detects motion. Other parts of this forum have lots of circuits to interface with other things like lights. Good luck and post more questions when needed.