Need help to understand how this circuit works

EmeraldFalcon

Joined Apr 4, 2021
Electromagnet with switch.jpg
Hi friends, I'm an electronic newbie and wondering if anyone can help explain how this circuit works or can someone recommend an circuit analysis software that can help me to learn more about how this circuit works. Many thanks in advance. Cheers

25. An electromagnet coil
26. An electronic switching device

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Looks like a patent drawing. If so, what is the patent number?

What is the circuit from, and what is it supposed to achieve?

ak

Seems strange. A black-box switch in parallel with the mains with no other connections? That doesn't bode well. I smell snake oil.

The other half is just a basic do-nothing LC circuit. Nothing patentable by any means.

I believe "ripoff" would be the most apt technical descriptor for the circuit shown. You can make one yourself for a couple of bucks and a trip to a surplus store. It's medicinal value I cannot speak to.

Last edited:

EmeraldFalcon

Joined Apr 4, 2021
Seems strange. A black-box switch in parallel with the mains with no other connections? That doesn't bode well. I smell snake oil.

The other half is just a basic do-nothing LC circuit. Nothing patentable by any means.

I believe "ripoff" would be the most apt technical descriptor for the circuit shown. You can make one yourself for a couple of bucks and a trip to a surplus store. It's medicinal value I cannot speak to.
I'm trying to understand how the circuit works.. What happens when the switch is turn on and off.

I'm trying to understand how the circuit works.. What happens when the switch is turn on and off.
Well, when the switch is open, the circuit behaves like an ordinary tank circuit. Alternating current flows back and forth through the inductor and capacitor indefinitely, generating an alternating magnetic field in the process. The capacitor serves as a current limiting device and if I'm not mistaken, might help to improve the circuit's power factor since a properly tuned LC circuit will 'resonate' with minimal input. Google 'resonant tank circuit'.

When the switch is closed, a dead short is created across the mains and you blow a fuse. (Or in the presence of an FPE or Zinsco panel, you burn your house down.)

EmeraldFalcon

Joined Apr 4, 2021
Well, when the switch is open, the circuit behaves like an ordinary tank circuit. Alternating current flows back and forth through the inductor and capacitor indefinitely, generating an alternating magnetic field in the process. The capacitor serves as a current limiting device and if I'm not mistaken, might help to improve the circuit's power factor since a properly tuned LC circuit will 'resonate' with minimal input. Google 'resonant tank circuit'.

When the switch is closed, a dead short is created across the mains and you blow a fuse. (Or in the presence of an FPE or Zinsco panel, you burn your house down.)
Wow, seems like a fire hazard this circuit.
Is there a way to wire this up so that it doesn't burn down my grandma's house.

Eliminate the switch and add a fuse in series. Look into tank circuits for the appropriate calculations. Consider purchasing a 12 or 24VAC isolation transformer for your usage so you're not putting yourself or your grandmother at risk for the sake of this experiment.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/tank-circuit-resonance-calculator/

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/capacitive-reactance/

Maybe look into vector math as well, as it will be instrumental in understanding the interaction between inductors and capacitors in series.

Last edited:

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
View attachment 234455
Hi friends, I'm an electronic newbie and wondering if anyone can help explain how this circuit works or can someone recommend an circuit analysis software that can help me to learn more about how this circuit works. Many thanks in advance. Cheers

Title: Understanding Basic Electronics, 1st Ed.
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League
ISBN: 0-87259-398-3

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
What you have is a very coarse block diagram, not a schematic. The block marked SW could be dozens of electronic components, including microprocessors, multiple MOSFETs or other power devices, etc. The drawings and the patent text are intentionally vague (and now well written, and technically inaccurate, and ...) to prevent exactly what you are trying to do.

Note that there is nothing in the text to describe the "energy source". Don't let that wavy line fool you - nothing indicates that it is an AC source, such as power line or the output of a powerline transformer. It looks like the device is supposed to be some kind of magnetic pulser. If so, those usually run on DC.

Magnetic pulse therapy is a very real thing. I have had two friends over the years who wore magnetic pulse wraps to accelerate the healing of radial fractures. Both were fully covered by medical insurance - it doesn't get more real than that. Plus, I've danced around the alt-physics and alt-medicine spheres for a couple of decades. So ...

There is no way to replicate this device, or even the intent of this device, with the information given.

ak

Last edited:

EmeraldFalcon

Joined Apr 4, 2021
What you have is a very coarse block diagram, not a schematic. The block marked SW could be dozens of electronic components, including microprocessors, multiple MOSFETs or other power devices, etc. The drawings and the patent text are intentionally vague (and now well written, and technically inaccurate, and ...) to prevent exactly what you are trying to do.

Note that there is nothing in the text to describe the "energy source". Don't let that wavy line fool you - nothing indicates that it is an AC source, such as power line or the output of a powerline transformer. It looks like the device is supposed to be some kind of magnetic pulser. If so, those usually run on DC.

There is no way to replicate this device, or even the intent of this device, with the information given.

ak
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
View attachment 234455

Hello,

The circuit as drawn brings up a problem in electronics where when we short out a voltage source it causes a very very high current to flow, in this case through the switch. This must mean that the circuit is not complete or there is a more complicated description of the source somewhere that we are not yet seeing. So in order to help with this you should describe the circuit components in full detail.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The patent says that it is a device for magnetic therapy. There may be some danger in applying it without proper medical supervision. It seems you want your grandmother to get better, but without specific medical knowledge of this kind of therapy (and such knowledge may be very rare at this time) the therapy might cause her to feel worse.

As with many good patents, this one does not tell how to make the device in any detail. You would still have to come up with a design.

I don't want to discourage you, only urge you to proceed with caution and find out more about this kind of therapy.