Need Help to Identify this key fob.

curiousike

Joined Dec 25, 2020
Can anyone help me id this? I have posted 2 pictures of a key. It operates a 1991 Honda Accord Ex wagon, and is supposed to remotely unlock the doors. It did not work, I was informed. I also included a 3rd pic I found online of a set of original keys for same make and model. I m utterly baffled, any clarity would enlighten me. Note the tiny microprocessor on the one side of the key, I am positive they did not have them miniaturized that small 30 years ago. Also on the side with the tape, there were 2 nickel cadmium batteries that this individual removed in his, well paranoia. I applied the micrometer and found ample power remained in them. Also curious about the 2 lens at the base. I also removed the item from said key per the individuals wishes. Note it is almost like the connectors on a tablet or smartphone, bends like stiff tape.

Attachments

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What's the question? Apparently, the owner of the keys on the left is paranoid. Perhaps he/she felt the keys were spying him/her. So, the fob has been opened and deactivated at a minimum, perhaps destroyed.

Now, that gets back to a paranoid person telling you the original keys were from 1991 Honda Accord wagon. You trust that information? I wouldn't. Years ago, I knew a paranoid person who had Khrushchev's keys. I didn't believe her either.

curiousike

Joined Dec 25, 2020
What's the question? Apparently, the owner of the keys on the left is paranoid. Perhaps he/she felt the keys were spying him/her. So, the fob has been opened and deactivated at a minimum, perhaps destroyed.

Now, that gets back to a paranoid person telling you the original keys were from 1991 Honda Accord wagon. You trust that information? I wouldn't. Years ago, I knew a paranoid person who had Khrushchev's keys. I didn't believe her either.
I am simply trying to allay my friends fear, hopefully using facts. and I watched the key start the car. Was hoping maybe somebody recognised something similar or it seemed something similar and could fill me in with that period.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That may work, but if the friend's fears are really irrational, generally speaking, facts don't help. That is, they remain convinced they are being spied upon. Sure, you can say you deactivated the spy devices and the key is now OK to use, but you are left with the fact the key doesn't work, and you cannot make it work in all likelihood.

One solution is to find a key that does work, perhaps at an understanding dealer and take it in your shop. Then tell you friend that you checked it for spying devices, and there were none. Or, that you deactivated the device you found and other variations on that theme. Your friend may well return with "confirmed" suspicions the key is spying on him, so you may need to wash and repeat.

What I see is that your friend has a car and no key that works. He needs a key that works -- or maybe he already has one and just needs a duplicate. Whether he should be driving on public streets with such fears or be in a hospital is another question.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Have you verified that the door lock/unlock mechanisms are functional?
On one particular car brand, there are 4 different 'locking' modes. One of these modes completely deactivates the automatic lock/unlock function ... So try to obtain an owners manual and confirm that the locks are in a mode such that the locks are active, in one direction or the other.
... Just one of several possibilities to consider.
... The basic question is if you can get the locks to activate by pushing one of the interior lock control buttons, or else activate them by means of a position of the ignition switch, or by moving the gear shift lever.? Any locking movement observed by the methods described here likely confirms the idea that the keyfob transmitter or a related part is not working.

curiousike

Joined Dec 25, 2020
That may work, but if the friend's fears are really irrational, generally speaking, facts don't help. That is, they remain convinced they are being spied upon. Sure, you can say you deactivated the spy devices and the key is now OK to use, but you are left with the fact the key doesn't work, and you cannot make it work in all likelihood.

One solution is to find a key that does work, perhaps at an understanding dealer and take it in your shop. Then tell you friend that you checked it for spying devices, and there were none. Or, that you deactivated the device you found and other variations on that theme. Your friend may well return with "confirmed" suspicions the key is spying on him, so you may need to wash and repeat.

What I see is that your friend has a car and no key that works. He needs a key that works -- or maybe he already has one and just needs a duplicate. Whether he should be driving on public streets with such fears or be in a hospital is another question.
Im afraid you misunderstood I watched him start the car with the key. I also watched him started after I took that stuff off of it

curiousike

Joined Dec 25, 2020
... Have you verified that the door lock/unlock mechanisms are functional?
On one particular car brand, there are 4 different 'locking' modes. One of these modes completely deactivates the automatic lock/unlock function ... So try to obtain an owners manual and confirm that the locks are in a mode such that the locks are active, in one direction or the other.
... Just one of several possibilities to consider.
... The basic question is if you can get the locks to activate by pushing one of the interior lock control buttons, or else activate them by means of a position of the ignition switch, or by moving the gear shift lever.? Any locking movement observed by the methods described here likely confirms the idea that the keyfob transmitter or a related part is not working.
Unfortunately the boxes inside of the doors that contain the mechanism to use the remote unlock on, which they did have that year of accord I've looked, Are no longer there. I told him that I didn't think it was a spy device, with the boxes being missing, It was just useless. He seemed OK with that reply. Personally I am not sure what was on there and I really don't care I don't think anything to do with unlocking a door, but I also don't think somebody is spying on him he works it n a meat packing plant and drives a 91 Honda Accord.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I misunderstood. On checking, the 1991 Honda does not require a transponder key to start, but does require codes to operate remote locks, etc. Thus, it is possible (probably very likely given your comparisons) that your friend has an aftermarket key that is cut to operate only the engine.

Getting one to remotely work other functions may require a dealer, or for that early a car, maybe there are ways to program a spare key.

curiousike

Joined Dec 25, 2020
I misunderstood. On checking, the 1991 Honda does not require a transponder key to start, but does require codes to operate remote locks, etc. Thus, it is possible (probably very likely given your comparisons) that your friend has an aftermarket key that is cut to operate only the engine.

Getting one to remotely work other functions may require a dealer, or for that early a car, maybe there are ways to program

curiousike

Joined Dec 25, 2020

Getting one to remotely work other functions may require a dealer, or for that early a car, maybe there are ways to program a spare key.

curiousike

Joined Dec 25, 2020
Now things get stranger. In this picture ou can see the stamped number that u would need to order a replacement key from Honda, not an aftermarket which would not need them. They are matched with a 2nd set found in the control boxes in the doors. You would neither need, nor would an aftermarket key have them. They are programmed in a different way. I am.going to attempt to verify they are the proper ones with Honda after Christmas. But that may be difficult given the boxes are gone.

Attachments