Need help to identify the difference between 2 models of an IC

Nesh_K01

Joined Jul 4, 2021
I am trying to buy an IC AA51880 but there are these 2 types mentioned by the supplier- AA51880CP - 16-pin Plastic SSOP and AA51880E .
Please Help me out to Identify the diffrenece.
Thank you!

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
This is an ancient, long outdated, bipolar chip. Unless you're repairing something I'd recommend looking at something more recent...

Nesh_K01

Joined Jul 4, 2021
This is an ancient, long outdated, bipolar chip. Unless you're repairing something I'd recommend looking at something more recent...
Thank you for the information sir, I am looking into converting a DC motor into a servomotor and I am looking for a cheap IC motor driver to do it. Do you have any suggestion for the same?
Thank you.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Thank you for the information sir, I am looking into converting a DC motor into a servomotor and I am looking for a cheap IC motor driver to do it. Do you have any suggestion for the same?
Thank you.
Do you have details of the motor you plan to use? For example, voltage, running current, stall current, rated speed, torque? For what purpose is the servo going to be used?

Nesh_K01

Joined Jul 4, 2021
Do you have details of the motor you plan to use? For example, voltage, running current, stall current, rated speed, torque? For what purpose is the servo going to be used?
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-22 at 5.35.07 PM.jpeg
This is the specification of the motor, I am trying to make it as a hobby project.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Will Your Motor be used with Positional-Feed-Back ?
Does it need to have Precision, and/or, Fast-Control over the position of an Actuator ?

Nesh_K01

Joined Jul 4, 2021
Will Your Motor be used with Positional-Feed-Back ?
Does it need to have Precision, and/or, Fast-Control over the position of an Actuator ?
Yes sir, It has positional feed back. We don't need pin point precision, Slight error rate is fine.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I would recommend this Chip : TDA7266 ( DigiKey #497-3669-ND )
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/TDA7266/677596

It's cheap, and completely self-protecting.
It works down to ~3-Volts, and requires no external supporting components.
It can handle ~7-Watts per Channel, so it's comfortably stout for your 2-Watt application.
However, I would recommend Powering this Chip with around 10-Volts for maximum Motor Control,
because instantaneous Current-Demands might not be adequate with a 5-V Supply.

It's actually an Audio-Dual-Bridge-Amp,
so You can control 2-Motors with this single Chip.

Since it is an Audio-Amplifier, it's not necessarily super-simple to set-up for driving a Motor,
if You don't know how to do it, just ask and I'll show You how.

For High-Speed-Precision Requirements,
it needs to be set-up as a Current-Feedback-Amplifier,
this only requires the addition of a Current-Sense-Resistor and 3-additional Op-Amps,
these are required for creating a "PID-Feed-Back-Loop" to
control over-shoot when working with such High-Feedback-Gain.

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
View attachment 242693
This is the specification of the motor, I am trying to make it as a hobby project.
Ok, @LowQCarb has shown one approach, which is a general purpose linear driver, but needs a few other devices to be a full servo amp. The device you originally linked to is, of course, a full servo amp with built in positional feedback. There are many good motor driver devices but few do the positional feedback without other supporting parts, usually at least an error amplifier.

Is there a reason you are not using an off-the-shelf servo? By the time you've added a gearbox, feedback mechanism, the control circuitry, etc, this is going to be quite an expensive servo...

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
On some chips, like PIC microprocessors, the "E" designates an extended temperature range. Of course, different vendors may use different letters for such designation.

Nesh_K01

Joined Jul 4, 2021
I would recommend this Chip : TDA7266 ( DigiKey #497-3669-ND )
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/TDA7266/677596

It's cheap, and completely self-protecting.
It works down to ~3-Volts, and requires no external supporting components.
It can handle ~7-Watts per Channel, so it's comfortably stout for your 2-Watt application.
However, I would recommend Powering this Chip with around 10-Volts for maximum Motor Control,
because instantaneous Current-Demands might not be adequate with a 5-V Supply.

It's actually an Audio-Dual-Bridge-Amp,
so You can control 2-Motors with this single Chip.

Since it is an Audio-Amplifier, it's not necessarily super-simple to set-up for driving a Motor,
if You don't know how to do it, just ask and I'll show You how.

For High-Speed-Precision Requirements,
it needs to be set-up as a Current-Feedback-Amplifier,
this only requires the addition of a Current-Sense-Resistor and 3-additional Op-Amps,
these are required for creating a "PID-Feed-Back-Loop" to
control over-shoot when working with such High-Feedback-Gain.
Sir this message is really informative, Thank you for your suggestion!
I have a few constrains such as
PCB size which is 10mm*9mm,
voltage range of 3-5v

Nesh_K01

Joined Jul 4, 2021
Ok, @LowQCarb has shown one approach, which is a general purpose linear driver, but needs a few other devices to be a full servo amp. The device you originally linked to is, of course, a full servo amp with built in positional feedback. There are many good motor driver devices but few do the positional feedback without other supporting parts, usually at least an error amplifier.

Is there a reason you are not using an off-the-shelf servo? By the time you've added a gearbox, feedback mechanism, the control circuitry, etc, this is going to be quite an expensive servo...
Sir, I am trying to make my own type of servo motor with a different body specific to my project, we have the body design ready, due to which I have a dimensional requirement of 10mm*9mm and also a voltage range of 3-5v. I thought of using 555 timer IC but people suggested the error value would be high and there would be more supporting components involved which will not fit on the PCB.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Hmmm... well if you have those constraints then your original choice of chip, use the AA51880CP (SSOP) is really your only choice from a size perspective, but you will need external PNP transistors for that motor. The only other readily available single chip solution would be the MC51660L (data-sheet attached) which has a higher output capability.

I don't know how you'd do that with a 555 timer; it would need a load of other parts...

Attachments

Nesh_K01

Joined Jul 4, 2021
Hmmm... well if you have those constraints then your original choice of chip, use the AA51880CP (SSOP) is really your only choice from a size perspective, but you will need external PNP transistors for that motor. The only other readily available single chip solution would be the MC51660L (data-sheet attached) which has a higher output capability.

I don't know how you'd do that with a 555 timer; it would need a load of other parts...
Thank you sir, I am looking into the IC. The 555 timer does need a lot more component, so I am not using it....