need help to develop project -RTOS, Interactive Keyboard & Display

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hello
suppose a system have Microcontroler , LCD and LED and microcontroller connected with LCD display and keypad. Now I want to understand development of RTOS program with this example.. as my understanding I have done some work as best I can do for learning. someone experience can correct or modify my idea .
1. when I power on system. system should be start automatically and display message "welcome" for 2 second and than it should be ask press any key
2. . If I don't press any key within 8 seconds. system should be display message. you don't have permission to access the resources and system should be turn off
3. if I press any key than display the message " you are member" within 10 seconds.
4. if the message doesn't show within time limit 10 seconds than turn on led as warning and power off device
I have seen many example, they are very complex. I want to understand with my example. I am looking help me basic idea
please help me , thank you very much for your every advice and help

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What are you programming in?
What Micro?
Start with the basic functions and expand from there using example programs from web sources.
Max.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
smells at school work is that correct?
Picbuster
no, not school work. I am looking simple program so that's why I choose only LCD and LED. if you look my previous thread. you will see I am looking simple rtos program. and I have explained different example

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If your entire system is " LED and microcontroller connected with LCD display and keypad" then please explain your overwhelming requirement for an RTOS.

With such a simple requirement set there is not a need for such.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
If your entire system is " LED and microcontroller connected with LCD display and keypad" then please explain your overwhelming requirement for an RTOS.

With such a simple requirement set there is not a need for such.
that is just example for learning . I already explain in my first post. someone experience can correct or modify my idea. I don't know that my example is suitable or not for rtos program. if I directly ask for the idea. someone could tell me that , do google search, read material .etc I have already done but not getting idea so that's why I made my example as my understanding. so what do you think what would be small and easy example of rtos for beginner ?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
First make your program work correctly without RTOS concepts. Then separate the I/O functions from the processing and timing functions into modules using separate source and header files so you can see the data-flow between the modules. You then need to understand how these modules can operate as separate threads from the main processing thread using inter-processing data-flow communication methods (interrupts, buffers,variables, mutex, etc...) the RTOS provides.

Last edited:

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
No, you need to work this out yourself if you want to understand it. It's for learning, LEARN.
There is no spoon.
ok I agree so can you tell me what's wrong with my example? first I am trying to implement only two features multitasking and time scheduling. I know what is multitasking and time scheduling. now I don't have idea where to start.I tried myself but you all are telling that my example is not suitable so that's why I want you to give me example. so I can do work in proper way.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
ok I agree so can you tell me what's wrong with my example? first I am trying to implement only two features multitasking and time scheduling. I know what is multitasking and time scheduling. now I don't have idea where to start. so that's why I want you to give me example. so I do in proper way.
Show actual work. (code) Forget multitasking and time scheduling for now. Make it work the way you currently understand programming. A simple state machine and software busy-loop timing loops is all you need for the processing logic if you understand the simple basic interfacing for the LCD, LED and keypad. If you don't understand and can't code the simple I/O interfaces, simple state machine and simple timing loops you will never understand RTOS concepts.

Brian Griffin

Joined May 17, 2013
All these doesn't need RTOS. Period.

Buttons can be handled directly by using pin interrupts.

There are various LCD screen with different controllers available. Again, the model number or type is needed to be stated.

Others - draw up a flow chart or a state diagram, before starting to code the program.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
All these doesn't need RTOS. Period.

Buttons can be handled directly by using pin interrupts.

There are various LCD screen with different controllers available. Again, the model number or type is needed to be stated.

Others - draw up a flow chart or a state diagram, before starting to code the program.
To be fair this is (per the OP) a RTOS 'learning' exercise so it's typical to use a simple example to introduce more complex concepts in an incremental manner so you can build on what you already know. My request is for him to prove he understands the simple model first.

Last edited: