Need help on use of Encoder

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Hi,
I have a dc gear motor (PIC A), and I need a dc gear motor with encoder(PIC B), is it OK to add an encoder (PIC C) to A to get B?
Sure added C to the high speed end of the motor.
Yes, I found that this Encoder can only used in low speed, any suggestion please, what encoder can be use and how to mount.
Thanks
Adam

post20201226.1.JPG

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need either a proper servo incremental encoder, or the cheaper slot opto versions with a suitable disk, there is generally one listed on ebay for cheap.
Normally mounted on the rear of the motor, there are two options for mounting, through hole or a coupler is used.
What resolution do you need.
Max.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
You need either a proper servo incremental encoder, or the cheaper slot opto versions with a suitable disk, there is generally one listed on ebay for cheap.
Normally mounted on the rear of the motor, there are two options for mounting, through hole or a coupler is used.
What resolution do you need.
Max.
Hi MaxHeadRoom Thank you and merry Christmas.
I found two type of them: the slot opto as you said and integrated high precision hall say - 600EN128CBL, I'll use the former very likely. But what's the inside structure of the latter?
And do you know how to mount the encoder on the motor easy? glue them together? cause of there is no an extension shaft on the motor?
Best

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Search on Ebay for "Photoelectric Incremental Rotary"

s-l500_Encoder.jpg
I am using the 100 P/R versions on a radio VFO. They are around $20 so not bad price wise.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What style are you looking for? Through hole or shaft type?
The ones in post 3 mention Manual operation, and they also appear to be?
If you want ruggedness, high rpm's etc, you need something along the lines of industrial versions.
There are different output options, from 24v open collector, to 5v RS485 etc.
Max.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
And do you know how to mount the encoder on the motor easy? glue them together? cause of there is no an extension shaft on the motor?
That will make mounting an encoder on the motor end nigh impossible.
If it will get you enough resolution you could fit a high resolution encoder on the output shaft.
What resolution do you need?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I would go with one like in post#4 or similar, and run it off a gear or toothed belt. There are heaps available thanks to the 3D printer market.
GT2Belts.png
GT2 Gears.png

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Adding an encoder to a motor, even if the motor is intended to have an encoder attached, is still not simple if any degree of accuracy is needed. The center of rotation of the encoder disk must exactly match the center of rotation of the shaft to avoid having variations in the pulse rate as the motor turns.
The knob-type encoder show in the one photo will not last long in a motor application because the bearing will fail.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The many through-hole encoders I have installed If a plain shafts is available, used a centering method to secure the read head assembly for alignment purposes.
The easiest way for alignment is to use a shaft-coupled version as in post #4.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Complexity depends on what the application is and the required level of resolution and accuracy. If it is only to have a speed signal that is less demanding than pointing a telescope or a directional antenna.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Even coarse resolution encoder will give you fine positioning after reduction by way of the G.B.
What is the encoder resolution shown?
Incidentally what are you using to control it?
Max..