NEED HELP on terms

Mustang277

Joined Apr 15, 2007
Can someone help me, please? I'm a court reporter's scopist and I am working on a job where they are taking apart a circuit board for a VCR and he was asked if that was applying Ohm's law and the guy responded by Sallaby, yes, you can. I've googled everything and can't find even a remote spelling for Sallaby.

Also, another question is he's talking about "the collector is nominally and the base return bias resistor or return to PLUG nominally plus five volts..." Sounds like plug, but not sure. Is it plug?

Last one is: "that initial oscillation will reach a certain amplitude and really decay due to natural RESSES in the inductive heads." The resses is phonetic. Any idea?

Thank you so much. Job is due tomorrow and I'm stumped.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
This is going to be interesting. I am on form ground about Ohm's Law. That desines circuit voltage as a product of resistance and current - E = IR. Using Ohm's Law, one may determine one of the values by using the other two, but taking a VCR circuit board does not sound like an application of Ohm.

"Sallaby" does not kick off any association in my head.

The sentence fragment lacks enough referents to guess at meanings. "Plug" is almost certainly not the corrent word, but I can't guess what might be correct.

At a guess, the last sentence might be: "that initial ocsillation will reach a certain amplitude and rapidily decay due to natural resistance..."

Perhaps another member can come along and figure out some of the other meanings. So court recording is not quite so cut-and-dried?

Good luck.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My first reaction is that whoever was speaking when these words were transcribed is trying to pull the wool over someones eyes. It sounds like so much technobabble as to be meaningless. Perhaps if one of us was there and could observe we would be in a better position to decode the goings on.

Mustang277

Joined Apr 15, 2007
Oh you have no idea. He is going on and on for pages. I think the resses is a shortcut term for either resonance or resistance. But my education on this subject is only for the last two days, so I don't know. What do you think?

And Sallaby I guess is an expert or text writer, but I can't find anything remotely like that spelling.

The other one with the plug, I think he just had marbles in his mouth and he just started over. So that leaves me with the resses and Sallabee. Any suggestions? :)

Mustang277

Joined Apr 15, 2007
Thank you. In electronics lingo would resses be short for resonance or resistance?

Yeah, I'm sure the plug is wrong and I think he just had marbles in his mouth and started over. So that just leaves me with the resses and the expert or textbook writer up there with Ohm's law of Sallabee or Salaby. HA!!!!! You would think that would come right up on a Google search, but nooooo.

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
Can someone help me, please? I'm a court reporter's scopist and I am working on a job where they are taking apart a circuit board for a VCR and he was asked if that was applying Ohm's law and the guy responded by Sallaby, yes, you can. I've googled everything and can't find even a remote spelling for Sallaby.
If the question was "... applying Ohm's law?" The reponse could be "Certainly, yes, you can."

Certainly could sound like Sallaby if you had marbles in your mouth ;-)

(* jcl *)

----
www.luciani.org

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
In preface to my comments below, I would like to add that what follows is nothing more than conjecture on my part and as such is not to be construed in anyway, shape, or form as a legal opinion and further my comments are strictly my own and not to be interpreted as made on behalf of the All About Circuits website, its members, moderators, or administrators.

Also, another question is he's talking about "the collector is nominally and the base return bias resistor or return to PLUG nominally plus five volts..." Sounds like plug, but not sure. Is it plug?

Last one is: "that initial oscillation will reach a certain amplitude and really decay due to natural RESSES in the inductive heads." The resses is phonetic. Any idea?

I had the same initial reaction that John Luciani had to the term "sallaby" as a garbled version of the word "certainly".

As for "plug", perhaps the reference was to the ground "lug" which would be the most likely place for a voltage measurement to be referenced.

As for "resses", I would favor resistance over resonance since the dc resistance would play a key role in the decay of a voltage in an inductor as indicated in this context.

This sounds like a product liability case.

Good Luck,
hgmjr

Mustang277

Joined Apr 15, 2007
Thanks for your help. No, it's definitely not certainly. But when I went back and listened it's actually Salavee. So I just went with phonetics on that one. On the resses, then maybe I should just spell it resis and leave it at that. I'll double check the lug. No, patent infringement. Interesting case, but this day was way too technical. :)
Thanks again

CATV

Joined Apr 17, 2007
I would guess the last statement regarding the inductive headeds, the word reeses is in fact "hysterisis" which is one of the losses associated with indictive devices.