Need help making high voltage pulses

PhilSD

Joined Mar 5, 2021
Hello, I am also trying to produce a sine wave with a low voltage generator, and wanted to amplify it to higher voltage, can you tell me what the converted would be called in the Digikey site, is there a name for the specific kind you can use for this? Thanks so much

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello, I am also trying to produce a sine wave with a low voltage generator, and wanted to amplify it to higher voltage, can you tell me what the converted would be called in the Digikey site, is there a name for the specific kind you can use for this? Thanks so much
You do realize that this thread was last touched almost a decade ago.

OK so here is the deal. amplifiers don't actually make something from nothing. What they do is make a copy of a small something with a BIG ASS POWER SUPPLY and a hand full of glue parts. As with all things real and physical the power you get out of any device will always be less than the power you put in. Sometimes it will be a great deal less. What kind of large power supply can you afford? How about we start with some industrial strength 480 volt 3-phase service to the house. I'm sure we could come up with something really impressive.

Last edited:

PhilSD

Joined Mar 5, 2021
You do realize that this thread was last touched almost a decade ago.

OK so here is the deal. amplifiers don't actually make something from nothing. What they do is make a copy of a small something with a BIG ASS POWER SUPPLY and a hand full of glue parts. As with all things real and physical the power you get out of any device will always be less than the power you put in. sometimes it will be a great deal less. What kind of large power supply can you afford? How about we start with some industrial strength 480 volt 3-phase service to the house. I'm sure we could come up with something really impressive.
Yes I saw that it was old after, but I suppose I was thinking of a powered converter or amp, that adds additional power, I've thought of a Variable Frequency Drive but most only go to 99Hz, I was hoping for higher, not HF but maybe up to a couple MHz.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
Do you want to amplify the signal of a low voltage sine wave generator ?
If so what voltage does it produce and what voltage do you want ?

A free smart phone app outputs a sine wave. An LM386 DIY module will amplify it.
a music mini tesla does high voltage at audio plus frequencies.

Last edited:

PhilSD

Joined Mar 5, 2021
Do you want to amplify the signal of a low voltage sine wave generator ?
If so what voltage does it produce and what voltage do you want ?

A free smart phone app outputs a sine wave. An LM386 DIY module will amplify it.
a music mini tesla does high voltage at audio plus frequencies.
I was looking for about 3 amps, voltage not so important. A tesla coil is a good idea but I wanted the higher power. The generator is only 10Vpp.

PhilSD

Joined Mar 5, 2021
I realize that is probably asking too much for that high a frequency range, I will have to just use an audio amp and use lower frequency.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Where is this 3A going to be used? What are you really aiming to do (your answer will guide the advice/help you get from members here)?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I realize that is probably asking too much for that high a frequency range, I will have to just use an audio amp and use lower frequency.
So an audio amplifier would meet your needs except for the 20 kHz. or so upper frequency limit. To go higher would involve a Radio Frequency amplifier. They don't sell those like Chicklets because every damn fool would buy one and mess up the RF spectrum with their particular brand of foolishness. In practical terms you need to get a license to mess with equipment that could interfere with other uses of the RF spectrum. This is because your RF emissions could potentially be heard around the world. So if you manage to get a license then you would be limited to certain defined frequency ranges. Outside of those limited ranges most other activity will get you arrested and heavily sanctioned. You should hear the stories of some of the Sovereign Citizens who've been hauled in front of federal judges to whine and complain about their rights.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Reccomend very much to read my mate`s Kleperis J. article if question is HHO. He is one of most competent in this sphere on the planet about H2, the Hydrogen Lab Head at physics institute LU-CFI). https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275653963_Water_Electrolysis_with_Inductive_Voltage_Pulses
There are ISM (Industrial, Scientific, and Medical) bands already set aside for industrial, scientific and medical use and users of those bands are not protected against interference but because operation in those bands is unlicensed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_radio_band

See whether or not one of the listed bands will work for your application. Note: Just because those are license-free bands, they don't allow "dirty operation" -things like emissions outside the bands including harmonics, so the equipment must be well designed and in many localities, thoroughly tested.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are ISM (Industrial, Scientific, and Medical) bands already set aside for industrial, scientific and medical use and users of those bands are not protected against interference but because operation in those bands is unlicensed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_radio_band

See whether or not one of the listed bands will work for your application. Note: Just because those are license-free bands, they don't allow "dirty operation" -things like emissions outside the bands including harmonics, so the equipment must be well designed and in many localities, thoroughly tested.
Dick raises a good point. There is often a temptation to assume people are probably located in a given region. I have little or no knowledge of RF rules and regulations outside North America. I am persuaded there are other jurisdictions around the world that are far harsher than I might be used to. You could literally be putting your life and freedom at risk. It is best to approach such matters very very carefully.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To get a higher voltage from a lower voltage sine wave source is very simple, and only requires a transformer suitable for the power levels and frequency involved. Of course there is a rather large limitation in that the POWER out will NEVER be greater than the POWER in. Transformer technology has been in use for over 100 years and so there is a great deal of information available on the topic.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Ham radio LINEAR amplifiers are mostly not cheap, and in addition they are for use on very well defined frequency ranges. And if all that is needed is POWER at some reasonable frequency, there are some product areas that may have what is wanted at a cheaper price. Industrial induction heating equipment being one area and ultrasonic plastic welding being another. Those frequency ranges are much less used for communications and so interference issues less likely. And the best part is that some of that equipment may be available as surplus at lower prices.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Availability, especially of surplus and used equipment, will certainly depend on the location. Here in the rust belt, around "Automation Alley" there are many small manufacturers and several industrial surplus sellers. All of the frequencies covered by standard ham radio amplifiers are for communication use, and require licensing to use them. So there may be some legal issues iit there is any stray radiation of RF energy.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have been seeking a mobile high voltage source also, probably an inverter circuit, for the purpose of convincing an attempting car-jacker to wait quietly for the police to arrive.
The challenge being that it needs to overcome the resistance of dry pavement so as to deliver several milliamps of current through an approximately 1200 ohm resistance. Probably the frequency will be several kHZ, I have not investigated that yet.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That looks like a fun project.
The immediiately obvious challenge is that ten milliamps at 12,000 volts is 120 watts, which is a fair amount of power. Above 20,000 volts there is the problem of arcing over the tires, certainly undesirable. Battery drain should not be an issue since it would not need to run for even a minute.