Need help identifying this board please

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Its some form of very specialized comms interface, featuring 2 CANbus channels, an isolated RS485 serial link, 4 switched DC outputs, 4 optically isolated inputs, a 16bit NXP microcontroller and a serial USB interface, probably for monitoring/programming, along with at least 1 local switched mode power supply.

I doubt you'll easily find a replacement for this board manufactured around 11/2010.

What's it from?

LeCaprice

Joined Sep 30, 2021
Thanks for your help. Yeah that seems exactly right! Its part of a steering control system on a yacht. The RS 485 is what's causing the problem as I don't have any in or output? The CAN seems fine as does the only other port used J2. Do you think this is proprietary? I dont see any markings from the company who supplied the system?

It's definitely proprietary. You might try replacing the RS485 transceiver (U7) hoping to get lucky. External communication links like this are the most susceptible when bad things happen.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
I doubt the problem is with U7, as this is a robust part with internal isolation and power transfer across the barrier and is used in many high-reliability systems. More likely with onboard power conversion or a broken joint. A lot of the vias (through board connections) appear quite corroded. It was working recently and then broke? If so what were failure symptoms?

LeCaprice

Joined Sep 30, 2021
Again many thanks. Not exactly sure when it failed but the Can seems fins as does the only other connection at J2 which is only output. The 485 goes to a touch screen to control the system. I simply tested for an output from the 485 and have nothing? Do you think this board requires any form of programming? Is that what the USB is for?

Attachments