Need help identifying so I can find a replacement LCD display

SxyWood

Joined Oct 8, 2017
I have a RevFire softball pitch tracker and need to order a replacement screen. It belongs to my daughters pitching coach and got hit due to a missed catch and broke the screen. Personally I have lots of experience in replacing parts, but this company is from best I can tell no longer in business and information on components is virtually nil. If someone can tell me how to figure out what this screen is I can order a replacement and get it fixed for him. These units are old but have a cult like following because of what they do.
I am attaching a couple of pictures of the screen. It has 26 pins, 13 on the top edge and 13 on the bottom edge. The chipset driving it is a TI M430F412. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS the unit is powered by 2 AA batteries for 3 volts.

Attachments

Last edited:

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
I would pull off display to see if there is a part number on its backside.

From that you will be able to find its type, resolution, operating conditions.

Without a part number huge mountain to climb....

Regards, Dana.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1) Is it color?
2) Is it LCD?
3) Approximate resolution?
4) Dimensions?

What you show is a raw screen with metal contacts to the glass soldered to a PCB with a controller on the back. You might get lucky, But don't get your hopes up.

SxyWood

Joined Oct 8, 2017
It is not color, so I guess it is monochromatic?
I think it is a LCD.
Resolution is unknown. In the one picture if you can see it in the picture on the right side it is powered up and shows "mph".
The dimensions are 1.5" side to side and 1" tall and a shade over 1.75" corner to corner.
I found an image on google that shows a working display I will attach so you can see what it should show when not broken.
Thanks for everyones help so far, I really appreciate it. I know I am not supposed to use "Please help" in the title but I wasnt sure how to start the thread.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That looks like a custom made 7-segment screen with fixed "units" (rps and mph are permanent). It is unlikely you can find a new replacement. There might be something on one of the Chinese sites (e.g., Alibaba) or you might find a used unit on ebay "for parts."

You might be able to cobble a replacement screen, but that would need a lot of work and testing equipment. Is the ball passive (that is, you can use any old ball) or active (it transmits data)? This is "active" https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Kine...ywords=revfire+softball&qid=1577032807&sr=8-3 I suspect it is the latter since it gives rps.

Bottom line, I think it is done for.

SxyWood

Joined Oct 8, 2017
Yes it is a active ball. I even looked at the information from the fcc website but it only covers the ball itself. I cannot find a patent for it either. I will keep looking for more information, and if I do find anything or figure it out, I will update you. Thank you for your help this far.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My guess is it contains an accelerometer, MCU, battery, and some sort of wireless RF to the handheld device. In other words, a very tiny inertial guidance.Those accelerometers are quite common and easy to use, but you do need to be able to write code for the microcontroller.

SxyWood

Joined Oct 8, 2017
I got the screen removed to look for a part number. Will add the picture of the back of the screen. Anyone familiar with the markings that would maybe indicate a brand name or manufacturer? I also sent RTF a message about the circuit board and am hoping they might have some information still available. I have a feeling that they also did the population of the PCB and sent the company completed boards. I also have put request out in some forums looking for other broken units that I could possibly salvage a screen from.
Am I missing any other avenues to explore?

Attachments

Last edited: