Need help identifying antique electronic part

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The half-life of cobalt-60 is 5.3 years. So after 50 years the radioactivity would be 1/1000 of the original activity.
I agree that 10 half-lives (53 years in this case) is normally the standard but, my question is, was 1965 the last year these were made or were they available up to the 1970s or 80s as replacement parts?

@Dr.killjoy was right, the post office does screen for radio-activity and alarms actually go off. Assuming it was possibly less than 50 years old.

Normally, a DOT training class is required for Packing and Shipping radio-active or any other class of hazardous materials. The only way an average citizen can ship these materials is to pay FedEx to do it for you. Technically, they must come to your house to package and label it for shipping since you would have to transport it in your car to get it to a FedEx location. It costs about $100 to have them stop by a business location. I don't know if they even do it for residential service.

cva2

Joined Dec 8, 2014
It might take me awhile to sort them out (what with Christmas, etc.), but I would be happy to do that.

cva2

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Do I understand, then, that it would probably not be feasible to sell it (and me personally ship it)?

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Rather interesting T/R tubes used in radar. These circuits are of a OKI radar 1972/73 vintage & use mostly tubes & a T/R tube. As does a Decca radar of the same vintage, very similar circuits. But the same vintage Furuno use all solid state components & no T/R cell, instead a Circulator to separate the Tx & Rx pulse.

Attachments

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
even radar that used a circulator used a tr tube. circulators dont have very good isolation to keep a multi kw transmitter out of a recieve mixer. preamps for radar recievers didnt come along in civilian use till the 80's, and still had to be protected.