Need help identifying antique electronic part

cva2

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Hi,
I am very inexperienced in this field, but am trying to help my husband sell some very old electronic CB equipment he purchased years ago at a garage sale. We have one piece that so far has defied identification. I will try to post a picture here to see if anyone recognizes this item. Thanks so much for any help.

(I may have it upside down!)

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Cool looking gizmo. I have no idea what it is. It appears to have mechanical elements in addition to that tube-looking thing.

cva2

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Okay so now I'm "playing games" with Worthpoint (technical difficulties) so can't get to square one on what it might be worth??

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Okay so now I'm "playing games" with Worthpoint (technical difficulties) so can't get to square one on what it might be worth??
The problem is, the number of people who might want one is very small. Of those people, the number who might actually log in and search ebay for one while yours is posted is even smaller. Finally, most of those "collectors" are looking for old parts offered for a few dollars.

The price on price point might be $5 or $10 and it might be $100. It all depends who was looking on any given day. In fact. It may be that nobody bids on it if you have a starting bid of $0.99

It is strictly a collect able and not a usable item so you never know. The only way to know is post it for some number and let the bidders decide how much it is worth.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
Ok, second verse, same as the first.
alfacliff, I imagine you ran through a tube like this in your aerospace/military life in Kansas.
actually I taught advanced microwave componants and systems in the Army.
if you look inside, there are two pointed electrodes, they arc over when the radar transmits, shorting the waveguide to the reciever. if it had been a magnetron, there would have been keyhole slot resonators inside.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there isnt much cobalt 60 inside, its used to pre ionise the gas inside, to let them fire sooner. a version is still used, its the simplest way to do it.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
there isnt much cobalt 60 inside, its used to pre ionise the gas inside, to let them fire sooner. a version is still used, its the simplest way to do it.
I think he was pointing out that she is trying to sell it and a couple item posted in the link had radioactive symbols on it ... My question is can she even send it threw the mail without getting in trouble for sending radioactive material through the post???

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The half-life of cobalt-60 is 5.3 years. So after 50 years the radioactivity would be 1/1000 of the original activity.

cva2

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Again, I want to thank everyone so much for all the helpful information! I actually worked for Wavecom, a division of Loral Corp. back in the 80's, but only in the HR Department. (I think I recall they got in some hot water with our govt.) I know absolutely nothing about these components. Your suggestion to go ahead and list it is a good one. I am not trying to "get rich" here, just wanting to clear out a lot of "junk" before I "check out" (ha ha).

We also have some electron tubes that show some use and wonder if we should toss them or what? You all are so much more educated than we are so we are really grateful for your help.