Need help identifying a 1980s computer part

RMBittner

Joined Jun 20, 2021
I am a very new hobbyist to vintage computer repair/maintenance, mostly as a way to rekindle the excitement I felt when I discovered computers way back then. I’m picking up the machines I owned/used back then and integrating them into my modern workflow as a writer.

Anyway…in trying to diagnose issues with a Toshiba T1000 laptop (circa 1987), I’ve narrowed one problem to the power block. One part in particular was loose on the board. Its legs were soldered tight; they were actually loose inside the part. So I pulled it for testing. But I have no idea what it is, so I don’t know if I’m testing it correctly. If it’s a resistor, it’s shorted, since it reads 000.0 on my MM. But I can’t find any current parts that look like this (cement?) and bear these markings. In fact I’ve only found fuses identified like this, but they don’t look similar. Anyway, I’d appreciate any help/info.

BTW, as far as I can tell, Toshiba never published the schematics or a parts list for this machine.
D153A44F-3727-4F13-B6F9-F83C632A265E.jpeg

Yaakov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It's a fuse. You can confirm this by working out where it is in the circuit. The form factor isn't important, the ratings are.

RMBittner

Joined Jun 20, 2021
It's a fuse. You can confirm this by working out where it is in the circuit.
Thank you! Fuse makes sense, since it may be one of the first components in the power block. (The T1000 PCB is very tightly packed, front and back.)

I was thrown by the fact that it’s encased in cement, and I couldn’t find any modern fuses like it.

Yaakov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you! Fuse makes sense, since it may be one of the first components in the power block. (The T1000 PCB is very tightly packed, front and back.)

I was thrown by the fact that it’s encased in cement, and I couldn’t find any modern fuses like it.
There have been improvements in the materials that are available for components and space is at a premium, so...

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Search for Thermal cutout or thermal cutoff or just thermal fuse. The ones I have look like the second picture.
" 250V2.5A 130C Thermal Cutoff Fuse "
"uxcell Thermal Fuse 125V 2.5A 130 C"
1624192699518.png
1624192728185.png
1624192741839.png

RMBittner

Joined Jun 20, 2021
There have been improvements in the materials that are available for components and space is at a premium, so...
I’ve just ordered some replacements!
Thanks so much for your very fast and helpful replies. I really do appreciate it.

Bob