Need help getting a motor running

JJENKINSRUTHIE

Joined Mar 6, 2018
Moderator's note: This thread was started by moving a post from another thread on a similar subject. https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/start-stop-motor-control-with-two-limit-switches.136207/

motor info (Rated Voltage: 12V Speed: 1000RPM Rated Torque: 0.4Kg.cm Reduction Ratio: 1:17.4 Rated Current: 0.05A)
sensor (HC--SR501 Body Sensor Module)
relay board (DAOKI 5PCS 5V One 1 Channel Relay Module Board Shield with optocoupler Support High and Low Level Trigger)
switches ( ULTNICE V-155-1C25 Micro Limit Switch Long Hinge Roller Arm SPDT)

I have purchased all these components from amazon. If this doesn't work i will buy whatever it takes to make it right.

Thought I could do this without the H-bridge board. But I'm on here for advice on the right way to make his work.

Last edited by a moderator:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
motor info (Rated Voltage: 12V Speed: 1000RPM Rated Torque: 0.4Kg.cm Reduction Ratio: 1:17.4 Rated Current: 0.05A)
sensor (HC--SR501 Body Sensor Module)
relay board (DAOKI 5PCS 5V One 1 Channel Relay Module Board Shield with optocoupler Support High and Low Level Trigger)
switches ( ULTNICE V-155-1C25 Micro Limit Switch Long Hinge Roller Arm SPDT)
With all of that, you would get better help if you told what your trying to do. The sensor, is throwing me off in this mix, since it is a PIR sensor. There is more to your project than your saying.

JJENKINSRUTHIE

Joined Mar 6, 2018
Basically I'm building a linear actuator. I need it to extend when the human is in the field of view and retract when no motion is detected. mechanically it very similar to a liner actuator. except mine is a rack and pinion drive to extend quickly. I suspect I will up the motor size to get the speed I need but for prototyping this will work for now.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Way back when I worked in burglar alarms we used PIR's to detect motion. When it was detected it would close a relay. The switch would be connected to the burglar alarm system, and the system would do its own thing. What you're asking about sounds pretty straight forward. A PIR with closure relay will either make or break a circuit, depending on how you wire it up. It can be set to open a gate (or whatever you're opening and closing). Once the system times out (or doesn't sense the motion of a person the gate will then close. Keep in mind that a person could be standing in the way of the gate but not be detected. The gate could close on the person. If it's a robust gate motor then the person could be injured or crushed.

As for the commands, the PRI relay can either send an open command or a close command, based on the position of the relay switch. That would need to be sent to a relay whereby the motor is either run forward (open) or reverse (close). You would need limit switches somewhat different from the other post. That post wanted to drive a motor in a single direction, start at a given point and stop at a given point. Your need is slightly different in that you need it to open on command and travel a certain distance, then close (a certain distance) and then the system goes into rest mode (waiting for another detection).

I've done drawings like that in the past. Let me look through my folders and folders and folders of folders and folders and folders and see if I can find it. If not I'll see if I can bang out a basic diagram of how to drive a motor one direction and then limit it, then drive it in reverse to its limit.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Linear Actuator 6 00000.jpg Assuming the PIR puts out a + signal for duration of human activity, this simple circuit should fit need ?
With devise in home position, limit SW B. is open. motor off. When relay closes, SW B is bypassed thru diode until SW B recloses, traveler continues until SW A opens.

Last edited: