Need help fixing an 'out of the box' hometheater amplifier

soulmusic

Joined Apr 5, 2022
The system consists of 5 satellite speakers and a subwoofer with the electronics inside the subwoofer. There was a buzzing sound coming from the subwoofer (not the electronics). After unplugging the subwoofer cable from the circuit board the noise stopped. However, I found the transformer to be untouchably hot. I left the power on and after returning 10 minutes later found that the amplifier was dead. I found three resistors in the circuit board looked burnt. I also figured the transformer is burnt or a soldered wire in it may have gone loose from the heat. The transformer is unlabelled and there is no schematic for this so a replacement was not possible for me. I tried to fix it but found the plastic inside it molten making it impossible to access the coils. I tried regardless and ended up cutting a few wires in the coil. The coil was still inaccessible and I gave up. Can someone suggest me a solution? I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Maybe the subwoofer amplifier is designed to always be loaded but since you unplugged its load then it oscillated at a very high frequency drawing too much current that overloaded the transformer and the burnt resistors.

If the manufacturer is Name Brand and local then phone them for a replacement transformer.