NEED HELP! "easy" Photoresistor run servo project...

Fox_911

Joined Mar 16, 2017
Hi, Im very green to electronics and this "simple" project is getting the best of me. I want to run a servo off a tiny photoresistor and a 9v battery. I would like to keep everything as small as possible.

Specs:
The Photoresistor:
- Min Voltage-150 volt DC
-Max wattage 90 mW
-spectral peak 540nm
-Light resistance 0.5 Mohm
-100 10:0.7 ??
-Responsive time up:20 Down:30
-Illumination resistance 4

The Servo:
-Current draw idle 6mA
-Current draw stall 350mA
-Voltage 4.8 - 8.5V

Thanks for any help!!
Best Regards, Justin

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Is the sevo one that you just reverse the supply polarity to reverse the direction or is it a model contol servo that is controlled by pulse length control ? I have never seen a photoresitor with a minimum voltage specification. are you sure 150 volts is NOT the maximum volltage rating ? If the 9 volt battery is a PP3 type it will not provide enough current. You will need a larger capacity battery. (For example 6 AA cells.)

Les.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Exactly what should the servo do in response to sensed light changes? Take up a position proportional to light brightness?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
LDR specs. make no sense to me, just call it 2 meg. dark, 100 ohms light. Just using the U4 ckt. for the hobby type servo, substitute the LDR for R 11 & parallel LDR with 100 k pot. . & see what happens.Servo-control 00000.png

Fox_911

Joined Mar 16, 2017
Datasheet or part number and manufacturer of photoresistor please.
That is all the info i have on this device. basically I want a light activated servo i just need to know the components i need to make it work. i want the device as small as possible, its for a drone application.
Best Regards, Justin

Fox_911

Joined Mar 16, 2017
Is the sevo one that you just reverse the supply polarity to reverse the direction or is it a model contol servo that is controlled by pulse length control ? I have never seen a photoresitor with a minimum voltage specification. are you sure 150 volts is NOT the maximum volltage rating ? If the 9 volt battery is a PP3 type it will not provide enough current. You will need a larger capacity battery. (For example 6 AA cells.)

Les.
Thanks for the response! this is a rc servo so yes as i understand its a pulse length control. and you are right that was 150 max voltage. As far as the voltage ive seen this run on a 5v battery but not sure of the milliamps.

Fox_911

Joined Mar 16, 2017
Exactly what should the servo do in response to sensed light changes? Take up a position proportional to light brigh
Its a servoless payload servo do i would like it to open or close due to light, either one because i can control that. sensitivity does not matter in this application. basically I want a light activated servo i just need to know the components i need to make it work. i want the device as small as possible, its for a drone application.
Best Regards, Justin

Fox_911

Joined Mar 16, 2017
LDR specs. make no sense to me, just call it 2 meg. dark, 100 ohms light. Just using the U4 ckt. for the hobby type servo, substitute the LDR for R 11 & parallel LDR with 100 k pot. . & see what happens.View attachment 122703
Thats what the manufacturer gave so that's all i have. basically I want a light activated servo i just need to know the components i need to make it work. i want the device as small as possible, its for a drone application.
Thanks

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I'd measure the resistance of the LDR, light, dark & over expected light operating conditions.
I believe a 556 is available in surface mount, not sure of 555.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Something based on this, perhaps?
LDR-to-Servo.JPG
This should drive a standard servo from one limit to the other when the LDR is in the dark or light respectively. Resistor values might need tweaking depending on the LDR characteristics.