Need Help Creating A Customized Counter

yash.ch

Joined Sep 27, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a customized counter which will also act as a switch. It needs to have 3 displays. The first one will show time and should be restarted everytime someone restarts the switch. The second on will display a count based on the amount of time that has passed by. For the first 10 mins it should display 5 and post that for every 2 minutes passing by the count should increase by one. This should also restart with the timer. Finally there should be a third display thats sums up all the counts of the second counter. This should not be resettable.

Lets take an example to understand:

1st time it is switched on:

Display 1: shows time in minutes and seconds.
Display 2: shows 5 for the first 10 minutes and increases by 1 after every 2 ins post that. Example: between 10 and 12 mins it should show 6, between 12 and 14 mins it should show 7 and so on.
Display 3: this will show the sum of all the values display 2 has shown in the past.

I would really appreciate if someone could guide me as to how to make the circuit and what components I will be needing for it.

Thanks!

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a customized counter which will also act as a switch. It needs to have 3 displays. The first one will show time and should be restarted everytime someone restarts the switch. The second on will display a count based on the amount of time that has passed by. For the first 10 mins it should display 5 and post that for every 2 minutes passing by the count should increase by one. This should also restart with the timer. Finally there should be a third display thats sums up all the counts of the second counter. This should not be resettable.

Lets take an example to understand:

1st time it is switched on:

Display 1: shows time in minutes and seconds.

Assuming maximum displayed seconds is 0-59, what is maximum number of displayed minutes? 0-?

Display 2: shows 5 for the first 10 minutes and increases by 1 after every 2 ins post that. Example: between 10 and 12 mins it should show 6, between 12 and 14 mins it should show 7 and so on.
So this is cycle elapsed time? Resets each cycle?
What is maximum count? Minutes or seconds?

Display 3: this will show the sum of all the values display 2 has shown in the past.
So this should be total number of cycles?
Shouldn't it display 5? Then 6 when the cycle count reaches 12?
What is maximum count?

So here's what I think you mean:

Display 1 shows total elapsed/running time.
Zero when powered on
Counts up and continues when start is pressed.
Holds count when stop is pressed
Zero when reset is pressed
Zero when powered on

Display 2 shows cycle elapsed time.
Zero when powered on
Resets count every 2 minutes.

Display 3 shows total number of completed cycles.
Zero when powered on
Zero when start is pressed.
Counts up and increments every 2 minutes

Need power, start/stop, and master reset button?

Is this correct?

Last edited:

yash.ch

Joined Sep 27, 2015

Assuming maximum displayed seconds is 0-59, what is maximum number of displayed minutes? 0-?

What is maximum count?

Display 1 shows total elapsed/running time. Increments while running.
Display 2 shows cycle elapsed time. Resets every 2 minutes.
Display 3 shows total number of completed cycles. increments every 2 minutes.

Is this correct?
Hey Yes you're right about Display 1. Maximum display time is 100 mins.
Display 2 does reset every 2 mins, but 1st cycle should be the start of 11th minute, i.e. till 10 mins it will show 5 and then it increments to 12 at the beginning of the 11th minute.
Display 3 is actually simply summing up all the values display 2 shows between resets.

So if after 3 resets display 2 had shown 10, 16 and 23 then display 3 should show 49. Max display value of display 3 should be 9999. Also, it should have a manual reset button. Thanks for helping by the way :)

yash.ch

Joined Sep 27, 2015

What is maximum count?

Display 1 shows total elapsed/running time.
Zero when powered on
Zero when powered on

Display 2 shows cycle elapsed time.
Zero when powered on
Resets count every 2 minutes.

Display 3 shows total number of completed cycles.
Zero when powered on
Zero when start is pressed.
Counts up and increments every 2 minutes

Is this correct?
Hey Yes you're right about Display 1. Maximum display time is 100 mins.
Display 2 does reset every 2 mins, but 1st cycle should be the start of 11th minute, i.e. till 10 mins it will show 5 and then it increments to 12 at the beginning of the 11th minute.
Display 3 is actually simply summing up all the values display 2 shows between resets.

So if after 3 resets display 2 had shown 10, 16 and 23 then display 3 should show 49. Max display value of display 3 should be 9999. Also, it should have a manual reset button. So it will technically always be switched on display total value until it is restarted.

And there will only be a start and stop button, every stop should act as a restart by itself, except for display 3 as mentioned above.

Thanks for helping by the way :)

yash.ch

Joined Sep 27, 2015
not sure how to edit posts, sorry I'm new to the forum. Anyway if you could tell me which aspect to explain further I'll gladly do so.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Need clarification on display 2.
So If I understand, when started, display 2 shows zero, then increments every 2 min.
So at the END of 10min it would display 5, but you want it to display 12?

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
That sounds like an extremely *customized* counter. So customized that it is hard to imagine anyone other than you can find uses for it, :)

yash.ch

Joined Sep 27, 2015
Need clarification on display 2.

So If I understand, when started, display 2 shows zero, then increments every 2 min.
So at the END of 10min it would display 5, but you want it to display 12?
Not really. It should start with a display of 5 by default and show that till the 10th minute and post that increases by 1 after every 2 mins post that. Yeah I know its a little complicated, thats why could really use some help!

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Is this correct?

Display 2 shows cycle count past 10 min.
If powered on
set to zero
If start is pressed
set to 5
If time greater than 10 min
increment count every 2 minutes.
If stop is pressed
Hold count
If reset is pressed
set to zero

yash.ch

Joined Sep 27, 2015
Is this correct?

Display 2 shows cycle count past 10 min.
If powered on
set to zero
If start is pressed
set to 5
If time greater than 10 min
increment count every 2 minutes.
If stop is pressed
Hold count
If reset is pressed
set to zero
Yes pretty much.. But only difference is the increment should start at the beginning of the 11th minute, i.e. between 10 and 12 mins it should show 6, between 12 and 14 mins it should show 7 and so on.