I have a 360 degree angle sensor. The input is +5 regulated and the output is 0.5 - 4.5 vdc analog signal. Maximum speed is 5 deg/sec. The sensitivity on the output side is 0.011 volts/degree. This sensor is installed on a mechanism that has +/- 30 degrees of travel, so we are only using 1/6 of the sensor full scale output, or 0.67 volts. Our input device accepts a 0-5 vdc signal, and has a resolution of 2 significant digits such that we can only measure down to 0.01 volts or 0.9 degrees.
The issue is that we need more resolute control for our mechanism. During installation, the mechanism is "zeroed" and the angle sensor is installed such that it gives an output signal of 2.5 vdc . I would like to amplify the output of the sensor by a gain of 4 but I will also need an adjustable offset.
My desire is to amplify the signal by 4 such that when the mechanism is "zeroed", the signal is 10 vdc and then offset the 10 vdc signal back down to 2.5 thus retaining the original voltage at the zero position. In this way I would have a sensitivity of 0.044 volts/degree so that at +30 degrees the output would be 2.5 + (0.044*30 )= 3.82 vdc and at -30 degrees the output would be 2.5 - (0.044*30) = 1.18.
I am a mechanical engineer treading deep water here. Can anyone provide a circuit solution with enough details to give me a much needed boost?
The issue is that we need more resolute control for our mechanism. During installation, the mechanism is "zeroed" and the angle sensor is installed such that it gives an output signal of 2.5 vdc . I would like to amplify the output of the sensor by a gain of 4 but I will also need an adjustable offset.
My desire is to amplify the signal by 4 such that when the mechanism is "zeroed", the signal is 10 vdc and then offset the 10 vdc signal back down to 2.5 thus retaining the original voltage at the zero position. In this way I would have a sensitivity of 0.044 volts/degree so that at +30 degrees the output would be 2.5 + (0.044*30 )= 3.82 vdc and at -30 degrees the output would be 2.5 - (0.044*30) = 1.18.
I am a mechanical engineer treading deep water here. Can anyone provide a circuit solution with enough details to give me a much needed boost?