Need diode help

Spraygun

Joined Oct 11, 2014
I have a diesel marine generator that has a couple of bad diodes. I need to get replacements. I am looking for a replacement for a 6QD4.That # doesn't come up anywhere I search. I would appreciate any help.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have a diesel marine generator that has a couple of bad diodes. I need to get replacements. I am looking for a replacement for a 6QD4.That # doesn't come up anywhere I search. I would appreciate any help.
It is probably a custom OEM part for which there are no datasheets and no replacements. They do this on purpose to frustrate do-it yourself repairmen. For the company there are liability issues for equipment that is not repaired in a factory authorized manner. Can you contact the manufacturer of the generator?

BTW -- why does a marine generator need diodes?

Spraygun

Joined Oct 11, 2014
No it is not an alternator. It is a 4KW genset. It has a diesel engine that has a generator head attached to it. The unit is used to supply A/C current to our boat. Anyway, it has a couple of different diodes. One reason that it needs diodes,is that it also generates its own 12v power. I did find a website that sells one that I need. I might be able to contact Kohler. But they do not service this unit anymore or sell parts for it. So a diode may be a long shot. Its clear that in marine world they don't like DIY service. I do appreciate any advice.

Spraygun

Joined Oct 11, 2014
I actually found them last night.The production numbers have changed three times since it was new.it took several hours of research. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.

Cocaine

Joined Feb 24, 2015
I actually found them last night.The production numbers have changed three times since it was new.it took several hours of research. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.
I'm having the same problem. What where the numbers you found? Can you give me some leads?
Thanks.

Cocaine

Joined Feb 24, 2015
Can you be more specific.For instance,do you need the exact same diode?Or do you have a similar generator?
I have a similar diode. It's base the same aarow mark with 4 A next to it, and 6QD4 under it.
Thanks for the help.

Its off a generator, but I don't know the make.

Spraygun

Joined Oct 11, 2014
I went to partsfortechs.com. They had everthing I needed.Look in the rectifier and diode section.I do not have my parts at my hand right now.But I believe I got the Kohler 233959 which replaced the 241739.They were less than $5 each.So I purchased about 4-5.