Need assistance reversing hand drill

coolmack

Joined Jun 10, 2016
Presumably it is a mains powered drill and not battery portable?
Max.
Yes this is an electric older Bosch 1/2" hammer drill model 1198VSR. The fwd/rev switch was bad, but could not find the original replacement so I thought I would try to a DTDP switch.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes this is an electric older Bosch 1/2" hammer drill model 1198VSR. The fwd/rev switch was bad, but could not find the original replacement so I thought I would try to a DTDP switch.
Can you post a picture of the switch? I had a similar tool (not Bosch) in which the switch "went bad" but there were an extra set of contacts I could use.

As for the comments about the chuck coming off, many drills (also lathes, mills and other quality tools) are made to be reversible. The chuck doesn't unscrew. Either there is a locking screw on the inside of the chuck, the chuck is a taper fit to the spindle (J33 is popular for drills), or there is some other locking mechanism.

Finally, can't you get the part from Bosch? That is really a quality tool.

John

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Can you post a picture of the switch? I had a similar tool (not Bosch) in which the switch "went bad" but there were an extra set of contacts I could use.

As for the comments about the chuck coming off, many drills (also lathes, mills and other quality tools) are made to be reversible. The chuck doesn't unscrew. Either there is a locking screw on the inside of the chuck, the chuck is a taper fit to the spindle (J33 is popular for drills), or there is some other locking mechanism.

John
I've seen a few expensive Bosch tools that weren't ant better than cheap & nasty Black & Decker.

"Reassuringly expensive" doesn't always work like that......................

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@ian field
More to your unsubstantiated and silly point, please give the model number for a Bosch reversible drill (hammer or regular twist type) with a RH threaded spindle.

Best regard, John

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
@ian field
More to your unsubstantiated and silly point, please give the model number for a Bosch reversible drill (hammer or regular twist type) with a RH threaded spindle.

Best regard, John
The TS didn't initially make it clear that the drill was originally reversible - in the vast majority of cases the chuck is simply screwed on.

Cordless usually have a keyed or non circular shaft and the chuck is secured by a bolt through the middle.

The common type for reversible mains drills is the SDS type chuck - or Morse taper for the real heavy duty stuff.

coolmack

Joined Jun 10, 2016
Well seems like everyone is cutting each other down while the question @ hand is still on the board.

I have had this hammer drill for many years & the original fwd/rev switch went bad on me last year. I have tried to get the original switch from Bosch, ereplacement, and a few other online companies, but the switch they send me is not the original and will not work. So I have decided to replace the switch with a simple DPDT switch, just asking for a little help from someone that could help me wire this up without burning the motor up, too good of a hammer drill to throw away.

coolmack

Joined Jun 10, 2016

John