Need advice regarding servo and stepper motor projects

abraar_sameer

Joined May 29, 2017
I have a pair of SG90 servos lying around, so I thought of buying two more and build a robotic arm or biped. But later I realized that I don't have access to a 3D printer or printed parts. So I planned to do something with stepper motors but cannot find anything interesting in the internet. I need advice regarding projects involving servos or stepper motors.

I am going to purchase a pair of these:

FPEX5ZWIDFSFQ86.MEDIUM.jpg

Please help me out in this regard.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Surely you can build a robotic device without needing access to a 3D printer? Improvise with rod, tube, sheet, bearings, whatever, available from any good model shop, hardware shop or builders' supplier. A punk robot :).

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
With a little bit of work, you can modify a desk lamp frame to make a robot arm. A 3D printer is not needed but can make it easier in places if you are like me and not real good at mechanical things.
Here is one...
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-IKEA-Robot-Lamp-Adding-the-servos/
It can be a good starting point for ideas.
And of course, you can always build a 3D printer. There are many designs for small ones made from junk box parts on the net. That will use some steppers ;)

You can often pick up old printer/scanners for nothing and a couple of these and maybe a CD player supply the motors and mechanics needed.

Last edited:

abraar_sameer

Joined May 29, 2017
Thanks for your advice guys.

I have received a pair of those 28BYJ-48 steppers. But it turns out that their performance is not very good. They are really slow. But I am wondering what sorts of projects can I use them in. I need a few recommendations.

Meanwhile I am browsing the web for 3D printers but there are hundreds of different ones and I don't know what to choose. Please recommend some that are of good quality, good for beginners and cheap cheap (< $200) .

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
As I said earlier, they are slow, but they are pretty powerful. These applications come to mind:
Motorise a solar panel so it follows the sun.
Turn the vanes of a venetian or vertical blind.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
For the slow steppers, how about making a clock?

Meanwhile I am browsing the web for 3D printers but there are hundreds of different ones and I don't know what to choose. Please recommend some that are of good quality, good for beginners and cheap cheap (< $200) .
If you are the the USofA, check out Monoprice
https://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=107&cp_id=10724
The MP Select mini is pretty good, and has an active hacking community.
The site has one refurbished...
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=107&cp_id=10724&cs_id=1072403&p_id=27003&seq=1&format=2

In Ebay, you could get a kit to build one too.
Be warned tho'. 3D printing can be very addictive;)
I have a Deltaprintr KS that is my main one, and recently got an Aldi Cocoon Create Touch (Wanhao Duplicator Plus) and am pretty happy with both.