Need a router that can simply (temporarily) prohibit network access

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
Hi all, sorry if this thread is misplaced.

The kids are that age now, and although I’m looking at OpenDNS for filtering, I’m really looking for a simple way to temporarily block decides from getting outside the house.

I already reserved IPs for all the devices.

But, my Netgear router only lets me block all devices except those on the bypass list.

That doesn’t help me much with wanting to clamp down on someone who hasn’t taken out the trash or some other required daily job.

Everyone seems to offer apps, but the router manuals don’t elaborate if their machine can simply let me *click* someone offline for a moment.

Thanks in advance.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My router certainly appears to support that. I've never actually used the function. My router is an Asus AC-1900.

Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 5.42.44 PM.png

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Have you looked at Ubiquity products?
I've used Ubiquity Edge Router,
http://www.citytechnology.com.au/store/ubiquiti-edgemax-edgerouter-lite-erlite-3-port-1-million-packets?keyword=edge router
Ubiquity WiFi AP, (a couple of them so it transparently covers a wide area)
http://www.citytechnology.com.au/store/uap-ac-Lite-dual-band-access-point-unifi?keyword=UAP-AC
and Ubiquity Cloud Key
http://www.citytechnology.com.au/store/unifi-cloud-key-uc-ck-controller-australia?keyword=cloud key
And these allows a lot of functions. Some are...
Virtual WiFi access points that only come on line at set times. For example, guest WiFi. Coupons to be generated limiting access speed, data limits, single or multiple use and access time.

I have no connection with this store, it is just where I got them.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I thought that all routers had a ToD setting which would allow access to the net only between the set hours. I used it to set the times my nephew could use his "toys" online. I wanted to give him an hour a day, but my sister only wanted him off between bedtime to breakfast.

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
I thought that all routers had a ToD setting which would allow access to the net only between the set hours. I used it to set the times my nephew could use his "toys" online. I wanted to give him an hour a day, but my sister only wanted him off between bedtime to breakfast.
Well mine does but it is an all or nothing thing.

Three kids, and my 12 yr old has more access than the 8 and 10.

My Netgear only lets me set schedules for the entire thing—minus the bypass account. Too many devices (holy crap it adds up) to broad brush like that.

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
I may not be understanding this clearly, but can't you set up ACLs and then remove them when "infractions" occur?
https://kb.netgear.com/23289/How-do...router-using-the-NETGEAR-genie-user-interface
I agree; any new router should offer that.

My router won’t show that option when logging in though either the genie or a browser.

I read somewhere if it is gone a reset to factory might help but I’m not certain of that.

Couldn’t hurt to try, though I’ll be re-entering reserved IPs all over ;)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree; any new router should offer that.

My router won’t show that option when logging in though either the genie or a browser.

I read somewhere if it is gone a reset to factory might help but I’m not certain of that.

Couldn’t hurt to try, though I’ll be re-entering reserved IPs all over ;)
Your life might get easier if you let the router assign IP numbers via DHCP and filter on MAC addresses instead, which are more-or-less fixed for a given piece of hardware. But yeah, your bottom line might be that the router simply doesn't support what you need. On the upside, a new router can often provide a very substantial boost in performance. More range, better signal, less choking on multiple devices and on and on. I didn't think I really needed one but my cellphone carrier (T-Mobile) gave me a new router and the improvement was stunning.

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
Your life might get easier if you let the router assign IP numbers via DHCP and filter on MAC addresses instead, which are more-or-less fixed for a given piece of hardware. But yeah, your bottom line might be that the router simply doesn't support what you need. On the upside, a new router can often provide a very substantial boost in performance. More range, better signal, less choking on multiple devices and on and on. I didn't think I really needed one but my cellphone carrier (T-Mobile) gave me a new router and the improvement was stunning.
Yeah it’s about 7 years old. Quite limited in features and I’d bet the improvement would be nice.

The trouble is while I can download Netgear apps and Linksys apps to toy with, there is little insight to what they can do without a genuine router attached.

Time to go shopping. Thanks for the suggestions here too.