Need a guideline for attending Master degree

BlackMelon

Joined Mar 19, 2015
Hello,

I'm interested in power conversion techniques such as DC-DC converters. I have received my bachelor degree already, and wanna go further on Master or Master-Ph.D.

Currently, I follows news of Perovskite mineral, a mineral that will be the next generation of solar cells. It will be my pleasure, if I can do a research about a new dc-dc converter for this new type of solar cells.

Does anyone here a professor doing this?

Ps. I want a full scholarship also. :)

BlackMelon

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

I'm interested in power conversion techniques such as DC-DC converters. I have received my bachelor degree already, and wanna go further on Master or Master-Ph.D.

Currently, I follows news of Perovskite mineral, a mineral that will be the next generation of solar cells. It will be my pleasure, if I can do a research about a new dc-dc converter for this new type of solar cells.

BlackMelon

1) Your MS or PhD work should not hinge on such a narrow subset of supporting technologies. Working on DC/DC converters is good enough. The people who ultimately develop the solar cell will be a solar cell factory. This is a chemistry/materials science process. People who assemble these solar panels into usable devices only look at the specifications of the device datasheet and design a DC/DC converter around the specs of the panel (and usually don't care much about the chemistry used to make the panel). They just make the connection and on to the next design.

2) This technology is still in the materials science/chemistry phase. Any electronics needed are more about measureing current and light flux than they are about making a device that can be used by a homeowner at this point. Keep your options broad.

Also, why do you want a master's degree?

BlackMelon

Joined Mar 19, 2015
I want to be able to do some entrepreneurial projects in the future, so I think that expertise in a specific field is mandatory. I used to work with a dc/dc converter before. I mean a simple boost converter design that I've learned from my bachelor degree. Even though I had study more about MOSFET driving ICs, the converter was not so successfully enough. Its efficiency can't match with those proposed to IEEE. Moreover, after I've perused some papers, I think that it needs advanced instruments to make a good converter like noise spectrum analyzer, for example.

What I've expected to do in my master's is not necessarily making an extremely perfect converter. Just improving something of those existed is enough. (But if I had a chance to come up with a new topology, I would very appreciate).

BlackMelon

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
The DC-DC conversion is part of electrical energy and conversion management.
difficult yes; the current available components force you to apply known configurations and only small efficiency improvements could be achieved. New chips and other technological inventions are needed to make a big step forwards.
study;
Each university will have their own sub-faculty arrangement it's therefore not possible to guide you in detail however; if you contact the appropriate amanuensis of different universities you might obtain answers and directions. Start with the board of professors and select the one with whom is nearest to your subject. Contact him or her you will, for sure, get an answer provided that your questions are clear and extreme to the subject.

Good luck
Picbuster

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Just to be clear, did you make this post because

1) You are looking for some advice on how to execute your project, or

2) You looking for a fellowship/scholarship/grant, or

3) You are looking for #1 and #2?

BramLabs

Joined Nov 21, 2013
Hello sir ! Me too, i'm working with my thesis using DC-DC converter also (buck and boost converter). Hahahha.... My thesis is about controlling current of electrical motor so that we can get a longer life time of the battery (in my project, i'm using supercapacitor to do this). Maybe we can learn together about the DC-DC converter :), because the basic of DC-DC converter are all the same ^^

BlackMelon

Joined Mar 19, 2015
Thank you Picbuster. Are you studying a master's degree now?

Just to be clear, did you make this post because

1) You are looking for some advice on how to execute your project, or

2) You looking for a fellowship/scholarship/grant, or

3) You are looking for #1 and #2?
I mean option no.2. I'm sorry for the vague topic.

Hello sir ! Me too, i'm working with my thesis using DC-DC converter also (buck and boost converter). Hahahha.... My thesis is about controlling current of electrical motor so that we can get a longer life time of the battery (in my project, i'm using supercapacitor to do this). Maybe we can learn together about the DC-DC converter :), because the basic of DC-DC converter are all the same ^^
That sounds interesting! I don't know how to send a message to you via this forum. May be we should start another chat because this thread is about looking for scholarship/grant/ etc. only, so people will not be confused by our chat.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello,

BlackMelon
Would there be anything unique about a DC to DC converter for a Perovskite solar cell?

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Thank you Picbuster. Are you studying a master's degree now?

I did start 48 years ago collect degree at my 22th year but still learning and failing so now and then.

I mean option no.2. I'm sorry for the vague topic.

That sounds interesting! I don't know how to send a message to you via this forum. May be we should start another chat because this thread is about looking for scholarship/grant/ etc. only, so people will not be confused by our chat.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The phrase PEROVSKITE SOLAR CELL does not mean the solar cells are made of natural perovskite clay. They are made in the lab/factory like any other solar cell. The lattice of the crystalline materials simply has a peroviskite -like unit cell (the order of packing) of the three or more different types of atoms. Perovskite structures are layered (think graphite) and these functional materials have an organic layer intercalated between the inorganics or tethered to an inorganic layer.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
The phrase PEROVSKITE SOLAR CELL does not mean the solar cells are made of natural perovskite clay. They are made in the lab/factory like any other solar cell. The lattice of the crystalline materials simply has a peroviskite -like unit cell (the order of packing) of the three or more different types of atoms. Perovskite structures are layered (think graphite) and these functional materials have an organic layer intercalated between the inorganics or tethered to an inorganic layer.
Thanks, I didn't know that, but my question still remains. Is there something special about a DC to DC converter for such solar cells?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thanks, I didn't know that, but my question still remains. Is there something special about a DC to DC converter for such solar cells?
Like I said in point 2 of the second post, I can't imagine there would be. The DC converter will just have to be designed according to the specs of the panel.

BlackMelon

Joined Mar 19, 2015
I have been following the MPPT for a year, and the reason why I'm so focused on perovskite mineral is that its characteristic might be different from the nowadays solar cell (silicon), thereby needing a new MPPT algorithm to let it operate at the suitable voltage-and-current for maximum power.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
But when will perovskite be available commerically? It is getting a lot of hype now, but I have not heard about any production. I imagine the MPPT algorithm will be the same as with "ordinary" silicon.