Need a Diode for SPDT Relay With Coil Operated Only by Switch?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Sorry if I'm frustrating you, I am lacking confidence you're putting things the right way around. I don't mean to speak down to anyone, so if you take offense at this - my apology. I'm not here to insult anyone; I just want to be absolutely certain you have this the right way around.

Based on your description you are saying the dashed wire is the negative lead from the power supply. According to the drawing you drew you have the diode going from positive to negative, creating a short circuit. The relay wont work, the diode will burn out and possibly the supply will be damaged. And quite possible the floor switch will also be damaged. The drawing I've attached should make it very clear as to which way the diode goes. Beyond this I'm not going to be able to help you. By now you should have enough information to handle this correctly. Again, if this comes off condescending - I apologize.

RIGHT VS WRONG.png
image.jpg

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Also putting a extra diode (oriented correctly) In the positive lead before the relay, will prevent problems when hooking up power supply by others. The circuit/relay would only work when power is correct and wouldn't work if wrongly connected. (as I posted in post #7) Just an extra precaution, or as it's know "idiot proofing".

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Also putting a extra diode (oriented correctly) In the positive lead before the relay, will prevent problems when hooking up power supply by others. The circuit/relay would only work when power is correct and wouldn't work if wrongly connected. (as I posted in post #7) Just an extra precaution, or as it's know "idiot proofing".
Excellent point. Even I couldn't screw that up.

Thenextman

Joined Feb 3, 2017
Haha @Tonyr1084 I appreciate your being worried - I am a total amateur obviously!

Thanks for the clarification.

Please see the image attached - I will be wiring this up today so let me know!

The PSU will be hardwired so while I like Shortbus' suggestion, I don't think it will be necessary.

Thanks!

Attachments