NEC bonded ground and GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It depends on your special definition of "Enclosure".
Having a GFCI-Device on a particular Circuit does not affect any other
equipment requirements specified by the NEC.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It should be because the 120VAC ground should be tied to residential earth ground of the power panel.
That was not explained off the bat.
With an "enclosure" could have meant a system using a 120vac transformer where the 120v may not have been re-referenced to earth GND!

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
A GFCI-Device measures the Currents on both the "Hot" "Line" side of the Circuit, and the "Neutral" side.
It does this continually any time a Voltage above Ground is present.
If the 2 Current measurements are not exactly identical in magnitude,
( of course they are of opposite polarities at any given instant ),
then the Device will instantly "Trip", and disconnect all power.

"" ............... a Class A GFCI trips when the current to ground has a value
in the range of 4 milliamps to 6 milliamps ..............
............. reference UL 943, the Standard for Safety for Ground- Fault Circuit-Interrupters. ........... ""

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am referring to a control transformer in such as a control enclosure where the secondary is isolated from earth ground, and where it is permitted to earth ground one side of the secondary in order to set up a secondary grounded neutral

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
I am referring to a control transformer in such as a control enclosure where the secondary is isolated from earth ground, and where it is permitted to earth ground one side of the secondary in order to set up a secondary grounded neutral
Have I given enough information to answer the question? REF: Would a GFI remove the requirement of a NEC 120 VAC bonded ground for enclosures?

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
So far I have not seen any indication on the nature of the conductors, and what environment they are used in or the application?
It likely is an extension of this thread where he didn't get the outrage he wanted - so he started a new thread and introduced the GFCI into the mix. He has announced he is ignoring most of the people who tried to help in the last thread.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/trailer-bonded-ground.186804/

Note: my favorite part of his post was that he is an EE from LSU and he compared EEs to Master Electricians saying electricians are like nurses who want to be doctors. Best to read his original. He is ignoring me so assume I am invisible here (until you quote my posts).

Status
Not open for further replies.